Getting a company truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by d_man, Dec 4, 2012.

1. d_man

d_man Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    When you sign on for a company do they let you pick the kind of truck you get or do the just assign one to you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They typically assign you the first one that's available or the next one down the list. However, a few may go one driver at a time, give him a list of trucks and say go look them over and come back in 15 minutes with your answer, then on to the next driver. Depends on the orientation size, number of available trucks, and the company. With many larger companies, you may be assigned a truck that is not even at your terminal and you'll have to "catch a ride" to get it, sight unseen. (Good luck)

4. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    every company is different my company the owner walked with me to check the available trucks out and let me pick the the one i wanted but we're a smaller company 38 trucks all together most companies just tell u "you get what we give you, make it work or look elsewhere"

5. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    The smaller mom and pop companies might give you that option but typically you are going to be issued a truck and not given any "say so" in the process.

If you want to increase your chances of driving a nice truck, make sure to make a good impression. Dress to impress during orientation! This can really effect what type of truck you will be issued. Do well in school, and do extra well while training and upgrading. Don't mention or ask about home time! The drivers that don't have to go home and are willing to put in their time out there are typically going to be given the equipment to do so. A driver that goes home all the time and just parks the truck doesn't need anything fancy.... Understand?

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  6. Trucail

Trucail Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    A good small company only has enough drivers for the trucks they have, so not a lot of choice. If they have more drivers than trucks, they slip seat which is bad, or if they have too many empty trucks, something is probably wrong. So, you get one that's available. We got the only one, and when it was time for them to sell ours, we got one of the newly ordered trucks.

7. Northfork Express

Northfork Express Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    My boss sold the truck I was driving so he gave me a truck paper and said pick one. I picked this one and he flew me out two days later to get it
    [​IMG]

8. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    If I were a professional over the road truck driver, my main concern would be that the truck is both mechanically sound and safe to drive. Hopefully, it is also comfortable.

9. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    1. safe.

2. good mechanical shap3

3. gotta be a hood

4. gotta be paccar prefferably peterbilt 379

5.gotta look good

10. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    good looking ride just needs stacks

11. Northfork Express

Northfork Express Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Yeah, some 7's or 8's would have been sweet. Starting next Monday I'll have a new job with a new (to me) ride

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.