Getting a job with prior Non-Commercial DL suspension

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by KuwalaBurr, Aug 3, 2018.

1. KuwalaBurr

KuwalaBurr Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    Hey everyone! I'm a 24 year old single mom looking into getting into trucking to better my twin son's lives. I've been looking into a few companies to team drive with. Before I submit an application to any of these companies and get embarrassed, I'd like to know if I could be hired with a single suspension on my non commercial driver's license.(Due to not paying my traffic tickets) My DL was suspended for a couple of years, never cared to get it back to be honest. I also have a few prior speeding tickets on my record as well. Nothing outstanding and all of my tickets are paid.So basically, can anyone ease my mind on this subject or break the bad news to me? That would be awesome!
    p.s. Y'all stay safe out there. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    Where are you located? How long ago were your speeding tickets and your suspension? Depending upon how long ago your tickets & suspension are and how much experience you have (you didn't specify if you actually have a CDL or not) you may have to try an owner op that may take a chance on you or a smaller trucking company. Do you have any accidents on your record? It will depend on the trucking company's insurance. If their insurance will accept your MVR, you can get hired. If the insurance company turns you down, you won't get hired. The further in the past your issues are the better your chances of getting hired on. If you don't already have your CDL, you could try some of the Mega carriers that can help you obtain your CDL, but depending on how recent your issues were, they may or may not take you. You won't know until you try. If you get on with a Mega like Prime, C.R England, Roehl (there's too many to list) stick it out for at least 6 months to a year before jumping to another company. If you have at least 6 months to 1 year experience, it will open up more opportunities for you to get on with a better outfit. 2-3 years will open up even more opportunities. I hope this helps.

4. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    I had a non-commercial suspension for reckless driving back in 2006. Had no problem getting multiple jobs over the past 6 years.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roadtex Transportation will probably hire you to run teams after you graduate from a cdl school.

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    As a parent myself I hope this doesnt come across wrong,.. but trucking is probably one of the worst careers to get into if you have young kids at home. And especially if you are a single parent.

Nothing will rob more from your life than trucking,.. and team driving especially,. OTR will rob a lot of time. Sleeping in a moving vehicle is not my idea of a fun time. Cabin fever with another person gets old,.. real quick.

I was in trucking before I had kids,.. I then got out of it for 15 yrs so I could be home and there for my kids and not to miss any special events, holidays, birthdays etc.

With OTR trucking,.. I promise you,.. you will miss so much of their lives,.. and once the time is gone,.. you will never get it back. There is more than one way to make a living. Unless your kids are older (Late teens) I personally I would not try to get into trucking.

In regards to your suspension and previous tikets. At 24yrs old,.. I dont think there has been enough time lapsed to over look them. I could be wrong on this,.. how ever in trucking, your license is your livelihood. Your record is EVERYTHING in this business. Insurance companies control the hiring process. With multiple tickets and a suspension on your record,.. it does not bode well for you. Especially at such a young age. You are already an insurance risk. The only companies that will hire you are the ones you really dont want to work for.

Hurst

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    homeskillet Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.