Getting Accounts & Creating Routes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SeanG, Nov 28, 2018.

1. SeanG

SeanG Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Starting out in this business is rough, but I think you can find success if you work efficiently. That is why I am taking my time getting my authority, saving money and studying the industry. Today is not the day to get into the industry. In fact, the next two years are up in the air for new owner/operators. The question that comes to mind is finding the right lanes, getting customers, and how to hustle. It seems the way new Owner/Operators start out is Load Boards, but that well drys up once capacity tightens.

How do you find a customer (phone, internet, trade publications, drive-by) and after you find a good candidate what happens from there? Will they have a broker to dispatch the load. What about the rate? Do I ask them what they are paying and I will beat it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I have tried to contact shippers direct but I get a lot of send us your rates and capacity , I don't think some of the big places will mess with a one truck operator

Boundtransport and Nothereoften Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    "In fact, the next two years are up in the air for new owner/operators." I disagree with this idea, it doesn't matter what time you enter, it matters how you do it and what you prepare for financially.

5. Boundtransport

Boundtransport Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2018
    U.S.A.
    I would love to see the thread thriving.

6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD

Asking for a rate, and cutting it is no way to do business. In the end it hurts everyone as the under bidding just continues. Bid a contract off your Independent figures at what you need to be profitable.

The ones that are most successful in this business are never the cheapest however they offer a nessacary service that particular customer needs or wants.

Ruthless, stwik, gokiddogo and 4 others Thank this.
  7. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Ahhh. Another I can cut the rate and still make money. He may be asking questions but I think I can already see where this is going. In my math, something from nothing leaves a negative number. I have no problem riding empty if there isn’t enough money in it. It is hard to do as first but as you grow to realize leaving the cheap crap there is the right thing to do, it gets very easy to say too cheap. It’s not for me. To be open I will post this here as I was going to do it elsewhere anyway. I am empty at about 55% of the time. I did $2.42 for the year 2017 to the truck with 5 months of 2017 at a crappy place to get the better job I now have. In 7 months of 2017 I paid off $11,000 in debt created over the previous 18 months at the crap job.

Ruthless, wore out and CorsairFanboy Thank this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    No, no, and NO! That kind of thinking is one of the things wrong with trucking today.
    If you start cutting the rate you're shooting yourself in the foot. You're also shooting everybody else. It might get you some work but what good is the work if you can't make a decent profit? What happens when another well meaning but clueless newbie comes along and undercuts your rate?
    Before you do anything, you need to figure out what your operating costs are and what you need in the way of revenue.

Ruthless, Boundtransport and bigguns Thank this.
  9. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    ^^^^^^ Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Best sentence is: You are also shooting everybody else.

10. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I would not want to cut the rate but you could contact the shipper direct later on and try to become a carrier with them instead of going through a broker.
    I think a lot of the contracts between you and a broker usally state you cannot discuss the rate with the shipper or the deal is off and they withhold the pay,I don't know if that would hold up in a civil case.

11. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    In my opinion as a “new” o/o. ie: starting up on your own authority, i would not look to loadboards. How i feel you should go about it is, find your work 1st. Go out pound the pavement so to speak. Talk with some local businesses, get something concrete in place. Once you have a good chunk of the week/month/year booked up, then begin the process of filling for your dot/mc #’s.

It can be done, it helps to be a local...seriously it does. People are more willing to help out a local guy. I myself started this way, and am friends with 5 other o/o’s who did the same

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.