Getting back on the road...orientation with Swift as a flatbed newbie 2/3/2014

Discussion in 'Swift' started by bab1369, Jan 26, 2014.

1. bab1369

bab1369 Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Laurens, SC
    Just a heads up for anyone coming to Gary for orientation or some other class...there is nothing, I mean NOTHING, near the Best Western. Kmart is 1.5 miles in one direction and there is a KFC, Little Ceasars, and Popeyes along with two convenience stores. In the other direction there is a Cracker Barrel and Wendy's only 1.7 miles away ;). I did the 3 mile round trip earlier to stock up. Not too bad, got some great excercise but it was a bit chilly with the wind.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Lucky that you are not doing your securement at the Phx yard and staying at the roach hotel. You have a Circle K and small burger joint across the street

4. bab1369

Apr 14, 2013
    Laurens, SC
    Very lucky indeed. The Best Western here is very clean and nice. Restaurant is decent but a bit high. Plenty of places that deliver food but of course that cost a bit more as well. I am lucky and prepared so not hurting for money. I know a lot who enter this profession do not have that so just a heads up.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  5. bab1369

Apr 14, 2013
    Laurens, SC
    Two days of tiedown class have passed leaving three more to go. Now, should one come to Gary after doing time with a flatbed mentor they will be here 3 days at the most. There were two of us in this class and now just me. There is a good bit of information to digest and not enough practice but at least it is a start. As has been mentioned in this thread by others, one will not learn how to be a flatbed driver in this class. It is obvious you must be motivated to go above and beyond to seek out more information and practice but that is no problem. Everyone. I have asked questions of has been quick to help and answer. The information covered is not difficult but one does have to think in order to be successful in securement. You have to know what to use, why you use it, and how to use it. This information will be given but there is a lot of on the job training/learning as you go. Go with a flatbed mentor if possible but do not be scared away if you do not or cannot. Just be ready to apply yourself.

6. Lycan56

Lycan56 Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Rocky Mount NC
    Just a quick question. My recruiter sent me some paperwork to help me prepare for my orientation for flatbeds and one paper was titled Accelerated Flatbed training. It states that after the initial tie down class You go out for 120 hours with a van mentor, then 120 hours with a flatbed mentor. this would seem reasonable as you may be assigned to drive either. has anyone else heard anything similar?

7. bab1369

Apr 14, 2013
    Laurens, SC
    Sounds reasonable. Was not my experience but would be a good idea. I went out on a van the whole time before doing my securement class. It did not hurt me in the long run but I am learning the intricacies of flatbed on my own.

8. bab1369

Apr 14, 2013
    Laurens, SC
    Have not posted here in three weeks...yikes! Been staying very busy running on a dedicated account from SC to the IN/MI area and back. It has been mostly a good experience. All of the Swift folks that I have dealt with have been great...one or two douche bag at shippers but that is to be expected. Only crappy experience so far happened earlier this week. I was asleep at a Love's in IN when a loud bang and shaking of my truck woke me up. A CR England trainee backed into my crappy Columbia. It worked out for me though. Got a much nicer and newer truck now. I have met some great guys in my few weeks driving solo. We are a very small part of the Swift family so you get to know regulars pretty quickly.

9. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Are you running flatbed or van for Swift?

10. bab1369

Apr 14, 2013
    Laurens, SC
    I run flatbed.

11. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I kinda figured when you said you were running SC to IN/MI. Fleetwood, I'm guessing, or perhaps Utilimaster? They have a dedicated account for it now? Run chassis up there, and steel back to Spartanburg?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.