Getting Caught Driving without a CDL.....What happens????

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by QueenB1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. thirdreef

thirdreef Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    Years ago when the CDL first came out.. There were small trucks that had air brakes on them.as in 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton . Then CDL came out they were replaced with vacuum brakes so the driver didnt need to get the endorsement. Yes the AcDL is a federal mandate. In the trucking industry all laws that pertain to violations are STATE laws. When was was the last time you got a speeding ticket and went to federal court? You will on most drug laws, hijacking , RICO, or if you steal something in a custom free zone, like the pier or certain warehouses. I didn't say the license was a CDL. I said that if your less than 26,000 lb gw vehicle and it has air brakes.. You will have a class C with airbrakes on it . Just like if you cram 16 people in your car, you need the passenger endorsement. Read the book that the police read. And I don't give out incorrect information on this. If you think so.. Show me from the vehicle code book.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2 different websites regarding this. One being government.

4. Flatbedn

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
  5. CaptainX3

CaptainX3 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yeah, you need to take an air brake test in order to obtain a CDL, but there is no air brake endorsement, at least not in Pennsylvania or Texas. There is a restriction, which is applied to those who have not taken an air brake test, but you can't get an endorsement for it.

Here's the endorsement list for PA, and I know TX is identical. Most other states probably are as well.

Endorsements– The following authorizations are required when operating vehicles of the type listed:

H - Required to drive a vehicle with hazardous materials placards (you must be 21 years of age).
    N - Required to drive a tank vehicle.
    T - Required to drive double and triple trailers.
    P - Required to drive a vehicle designed to carry 16 passengers or more including the driver (buses).
    S - Required to drive a school bus. Designed to carry 11 passengers or more, including the driver.
    X - Represents a combination of the hazardous materials and tank vehicle endorsements (you must be 21 years of age).

You don't need a CDL for air brakes, and if you go into a DMV and ask for an air brake endorsement they're going to look at you like you're crazy.

6. thirdreef

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    let me say it slow for you.. I said that you DO NOT need a CDL. You pull up all of this.. Where is the vehicle code number. Anybody could make this up and print it. Example Ca vehicle code section 10851. Is California state vehicle code book section 10851. Stolen vehicle. With that I garantee you will go to jail if you break that law.. Just like every other state has the same basic law, maybe written a little different but has the same meaning and a penalty.
    Why don't ou go to the state that you live in to their vehicle code book and show me.

7. Flatbedn

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    You said you do need a cdl. Ill look at my state and see.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just an FYI, if he has someone driving the truck and it is one that needs a cdl driver, the driver gets into an accident, the owner can be sued, the driver can be sued and the driver can sue the owner.

9. Flatbedn

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

Here it is from Missouri handbook.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I agree with all but the suing of the owner. The driver is the true culprit. They would throw it out most likely.

11. thirdreef

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    they also have "P" for non school bus passenger. That's right there is nothing on your license for air brake.. But I can garantee that it will show up on the computer. How do I know? Renewed my license, got license , thought nothing about it until I was pulled into Nebraska scale, guy told me about no air brakes.. Was shut down . Said I know exactly what happened so no ticket. Called DMV in the state that issued the license. They put on computer.. On my way. They used to put air brakes in small dump trucks until the companies and the workers didnt want the hassle of the endorcement. So trucks under 26,000 were made with vacuum brakes. And they were talking about an endorcement for vacuum , and travel trailers over a certain size, but that was shot down in 1990. Now if your company has an older small dump truck or what ever that has air brakes, you will have to take the air brake test. It won't show up on your class C license, but that cop that pulls you over will know if you have it or not, just like they do on your CDL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.