Getting Caught Driving without a CDL.....What happens????

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by QueenB1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. truckman29801

truckman29801 Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    SC
    the laws in Sc must be different, the DOT told me to Ride on lol. its in his little "nail them to the wall " book. i dont have any issue with this now lol i have my A.

There is a federal requirement that each state have minimum standards for the licensing of commercial drivers. This manual
    provides driver license testing information for drivers who wish to have
    a commercial driver license (CDL). This manual does NOT provide
    information on all the federal and state requirements needed before
    you can drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV). You may have to
    contact your state driver licensing authority for additional information.
    You must have a CDL to operate:
    • A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of
    more than 26,000 pounds.
    • A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross
    combination weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds.
    • A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons
    (including the driver).
    • Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards.
    (Your state may have additional definitions of CMVs.)
    To get a CDL, you must pass knowledge and skill tests. This manual
    will help you pass the tests.
    This Section Explains
    • Commercial Driver License
    Tests
    • Other Safety Rules

And after a few months of havin my CDL it still doesnt say Airbrakes need one. but i would like to say that they should change it before someone kills someone driving a rental truck.

And if your unsure in your state, ust call a Scale house or the DOT and they will tell you yes or no. no need to et a ticket because you read somethin off the internet lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Like another post any truck over 26,000 you need a class B gennerally this is for example like a ford 6500 flatbead empty and then if it has air brakes which it needs at this weight is there any reportable quantity hazmat etc. lets put it this way in some states depending on the judge $10,000 fine possible felony conviction jail time loss of dot operator permit and loss of the liscense of the driver in the vehicle and not only that it will probally affect the driver in the future if they try to get a commercial job NOT A GOOD IDEA TO DRIVE A CMV WITHOUT A VALID COMMERCIAL LICENSE

4. thirdreef

thirdreef Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    like I've said before if you are compensated, you need aCDL for anything.. Even a car. And if that vehicle has air brakes you need the endorsement. And if you are not compensated ie. driving a hertz , what ever to move yourself you only need a regular license like to drive your car. Is is stupid. Yeah it is.. But that's where the law stands now. But if your unsure .. Don't listen to us.. Call the local highway patrol office and get in touch with the commercial officer. HE DEFINATY KNOWS and he is the law.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I looked at my license. Class A with Tanker, Doubles and Triples and no hazmat. I cannot find the air brake endorsement.

6. sdlm

sdlm Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Usually it is a restriction not an endorsement.

7. thirdreef

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    I don't know why... But they don't put it on your license, but it sure will show up on that police computer. And if the DMV forgot to put it on.. You think everything is grand with your new license... Until you are put out of service on operating a truck with no air brake endorsement. That happened to me.. Thank God DMV was still open and was able to go after about an hour.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    The only thing that is put on a license as a Class A concerning Air Brakes is a Restriction. That is shown on the license and on the report the police will receive.

9. thirdreef

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    always had my endorsement so I couldn't tell. It's funny that they list all other endorsement but this and they list it when you don't have it?

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I have had mine as well. The only one that comes and goes is the Hazmat. I sometimes renew it and others times let it lapse.

When I ran the office for a construction company I had to see many different states and keep track of their licenses.

11. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Why oh why, Have I never has a boss like that... If I had a boss that wanted my to drive a truck that required a CDL, and was grossly overweight, and knew he would fire me if I didn't comply, boy would I have fun with that.... I'd back that sucker right through a wall on his building... then while pulling it out.... I'd make sure I'd make short work of the bosses car... Then, I'd go in and tell him about it, as I didn't have the credentials to drive a truck like that, and ask if he wanted to call the police about it, so they can also see I lacked the credentials but gave it a shot anyway, to keep my job.

And let the games begin... what fun that would be!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.