Getting hired with verifiable work experience, last 3.5 yrs was for cash?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by tree_climber, May 11, 2023.

1. tree_climber

tree_climber Bobtail Member

May 11, 2023
    Anyone have experience with getting into a company's CDL training program, getting hired, when all recent work on your resume was for cash?

I've read that it kinda depends on the trucking company. For example, one guy on reddit got rejected from Prime for being 'self employed' for three years (I don't think he filed taxes either) but I keep reading claims that some companies 'will take anyone with a pulse and a clean driving record.' One guy even claimed he blatantly told the recruiter he just sold weed for years, still got hired somewhere.

I worked for one tree service LLC in the last two years that will vouch for me, but there was no paperwork or tax stuff filed. I have verifiable stuff from 2017-2019 too. I'm honestly also way behind on my taxes, they just got all messed up (like my whole life since 2017). I probably have a total of three years since 2016 where I have no verifiable work experience, I was just freelancing in tree work part time and bumming along.

In other news, there are no traffic tickets on my record in the last 3 years, and nothing remotely serious before that. Clean criminal record.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you have any record at all of being paid, such as a receipt?
    ~
    If not, just say you worked for cash because you just couldn't find a job that paid enough to survive.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The guy that said he sold weed was BSing someone.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location; state & nearest city/town?

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    When I first started CDL driving, I had several years of "unemployment"....where I was actually a full-time caregiver.

With that in mind -- if your driving & criminal histories are clean -- you might try Schneider.

They hired me -- when no one else would.

Freight volumes of late are depressed, & are likely to remain so for a while. So you might have to weather several "no" answers....before you get a "yes" hiring decision.

-- Lual

Nashville and tree_climber Thank this.
  7. tree_climber

May 11, 2023
    I am in Northwest Arkansas

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. tree_climber

May 11, 2023
    edit: I was trying to quote Chinatown with this answer, "Do you have any record at all of being paid, such as a receipt?"

I dont have any record of payment for anything since mid 2019, but the company I worked for after 2021 would vouch for me when they called, confirm dates of employement etc Its just a cash industry, most home owners are willing to pay in cash. Unfortunately for that reason the industry is full of people who are basically pirates.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Apply to Schneider in Post #6

tree_climber Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many drivers in your situation found work in trucking by saying they worked for cash doing landscaping, cutting firewood, etc.
    Submit some applications off the websites posted, then follow up with a phone call in a couple days.

tree_climber Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.