Getting loads when starting out?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Masonp25, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Masonp25

Masonp25 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2022
    Hey guys ive been in the shadows on here taking in the great info you've provided. Im 22 and have an established landscape company in Michigan, however I have my crew plow snow for us and want to use my down time to try and get into trucking. My biggest concern is how do you go about getting loads besides using DAT loadboards or other loadboard sites? Any industries better to haul for than others?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    First off, what equipment will you be operating?

4. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    I think there was a Jubitz truckstop in Portland, OR that had a pretty good load board, I think it was something catchy like Dial A Driver or something like that... check it out

5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    You currently run a business but you don't know how to get customers? Then you want your competition to give you work?

6. Tekna

Tekna Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Texas
    Best advice right now is to not go off YouTube videos 1+ year old glorifying this industry without seeing the fate of those in recent times.

If your truly adamant about doing this right now it be wise to start out with the capability of 40' length and 16k Payload capacity. You will need a CDL.

You likely won't be able to stick with a particular industry to haul for because a load of pipe taking to name your city might be a location that only has tractors and farm equipment available for back haul. The key to success will be to maximize your capability.

Also the cost of commercial insurance isn't going to be practical to maintain if you plan on doing lawn services during peak summer months. Soon as you reduce your commercial insurance your authority age resets. A lot of brokers won't mess with you with less than 90 days active authority and some of the better ones require 6+ months active authority with clean safety audits.

I would imagine a decent lawn service business has a lot better profit margin and far less legal loops to jump through. Way less regulation.

If you got the money to invest in trucking but already have a lawn business I think your money be better spent adding to your lawn business. Add another truck and trailer and maybe a skid steer that brush hog etc.

Good luck. Truly not trying to discourage you but I think your in a better position to grow your investment than risking it in this industry right now.

7. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Being a former landscape business owner I second what Tekna said !!!!!!

Mnmover99 and Tekna Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.