getting sick outside of the job.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by boojes11, Feb 22, 2015.

1. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    AT-WILL employment laws

Yep. You can. I've done it. It's not nice, but it's fine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I think the Family Medical Leave Act might apply here.

I only mention it because nobody else has.

If your are unable to work you might qualify for disability.

4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    possibly.

[h=1]Wage and Hour Division (WHD)[/h] [h=2]Family and Medical Leave Act[/h] [h=3]Overview[/h] The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:

• Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
      • the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
      • the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
      • to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
      • a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
      • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or

• Twenty-six workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the servicemember’s spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave).

Ditch Doctor Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I think he doesn't have enough time for unemployment and got to mention that I've had three companies try to fight against paying it and they all lost.

6. bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Virginia
    Just a thought...but for people looking for employment...you might want to do some research on how a company that you're considering working for handles this kind of thing. I.e. My company...a guy I work with was hospitalized recently with an illness that was not work related. He was out of work for a few days. The only issue he ran into is that when he came back...the safety guy wanted a doctors note saying that he was ok to drive.

7. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    I just took 3 days off due to the flu.i dont go to drs.,wonder what work is gonna say?:biggrin_25516:

8. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    From my past experiences, many companies "allow" 1 to 2 days with out a dr's note. After that, they WANT ONE as proof you were sick.

Now why you do not go to a doctor is your business, but "as I see it" a doctor can back you up when you need it the most. How you get your DOT physical with out seeing a doctor?

bubbagumpshrimp Thanks this.
  9. mpow66m

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    DOT is different.i wont go to a dr unless abousolutly(sp)ness.dont have anything against it,a few quarts of OJ and some dayquill and im doin fine.dont usually take medicine either,but i made an exception this time.

10. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
  11. mpow66m

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    also if i must get a dr note for the comp,i dont have a prob w/ tht.its i just dont have a reg dr to go to,unless u count the er or chiro.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.