Getting Started

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TexasMike, Feb 6, 2008.

1. World

World Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Moving, Any State
    I met with the Roadmaster Recruiter yesterday. They want either $6500 written contract, or $5500 cash up front.

Seems like a good class, and they claim to place virtually all of their graduates, but the thought of paying that much up front, then not getting it back except through $150 per month tuition reimbursements over a multi year period, just does not feel right to me.

But that's just me....:biggrin_25520:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CflTeam

CflTeam Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Central, Fl
    World, did you check out Mid Florida Tech? I don't personally know anything about them, but have heard others say good things about them. Check it out?

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Any school can assist you with placement. That's the nature of our industry at the moment. If it has a pulse and breathes, it's got a job as a truck driver.

The money issue, remains the same wherever you go. Personally, I recommend that you DO NOT hire on with a company that reimburses your tuition, just to cover that payment.

These companies typically require a year or more commitment. While that may not seem like a big deal, it can be.

Company A -- Provides you with tuition reimbursement # a starting pay of .25 a mile as a solo driver to start. And .12 - .17 a mile while in training.

Company B -- Offers $250 a week during training, which last up to 8 weeks. They provide tuition reimbursement also. Then .28 a mile when you go solo, but only give you about 2200 miles a week.

Company C -- Offers NO tuition reimbursement. But, they pay you .27 a mile while in training, then you go to .28 a mile as a solo, working your way to .35 a mile within your first 12 months. And try to maintain at least 3000 miles a week for ALL their drivers.

Anyone can pay their OWN way, if they plan and execute properly...and get with a good company in the beginning.

5. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Well, ITDS called me today and let me know that my drug screen came back clean (like I didn't already know it would) and to let me know that the classes would actually be taking place at the college campus instead of the classroom at the driving range. Glad they told me this, I would have showed up at the range where we had our orientation.

I was also told that the class had gotten even smaller, there will only be two of us in the class. Talk about washout rate! Classes haven't even started and they lost four folks right off the bat. I do know one was due to high bloodpressure issues, I can only guess what the other reasons were for.

6. World

World Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Moving, Any State
    Dan:

Thanks a million. This is absolutely essential for me to know right now. I keep telling myself a year is a long time to be whipped around by the company. The more reading I do, the more things I find they can do, both purposely and accidentally (as part of their system of favoring types of drivers, not paying for all the miles, etc, etc) to keep a new driver's miles and money low.

So this type of post you provided adds more detail to the term " indentured servant ".

7. K&J

K&J Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Central Florida
    Mid Florida Tech in Orlando has a PTDI Certified CDL School. Its 8 weeks long, accepted by every company in the country and cost $1700.00 I believe when I last checked.

I know several companies out there that wont accept grads from 3 week schools like TDI and Roadmaster. I strongly advise you to keep looking for a CC program and go to one of the 3 week $6000.00 schools only as a last resort.

Our school program was a 10 week program. Local students do the full 10 weeks there. Because of an agreement with our company we got to do 5 weeks in school and 5 weeks OTR with a company trainer. The 3 week programs train you to get your CDL.... but I cannot imagine feeling comfortable driving a big rig with just 3 weeks of schooling. Just my 2 cents worth.

8. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Well, the first day at school was just about what I expected I think.

Showed up at 6:45am for the 7:00am class and met our instructor. Steve seems like a pretty nice guy, been driving OTR for about 18 years and seems to know his stuff. Only time will tell you know.

We got our schedule for the next four weeks, it is pretty straight forward so at least we know exactly what we are supposed to be doing and when we are going to do it.

Today and tomorrow we are studying the books and taking pre-tests to check our knowledge. Luckily for me I've been studying the books for nearly a month now and have just about blown the pre-tests away. My buddy in class got started a bit late on the program but he's doing pretty good as well, he just needs to hit the books after hours to shore up what he's learning.

Today we covered the Texas specific laws (Class A & B test) as well as the General CDL, Air Brakes and Bulk/Tankers.

Tomorrow we are supposed to cover Combination, Doubles/Triples and Pre-Trip/Post-Trip inspections.

We won't cover Hazmat till the last week of class because you can't even take the Hazmat test in Texas till after you have your hardcopy CDL license. (I plan on getting mine will just have to do it on my own.)

Wednesday we are supposed to head down to the DPS CDL Testing station in Waxahachie and take all seven of our written tests.

Thursday and Friday we will be covering all the other classroom related stuff such as logging, mapping, trip planning and such.

Then for the next three weeks after that, we'll be doing parking in the mornings and road driving in the afternoons.

We are supposed to be ready and go down to Waxahachie and take our skills tests on March 12th. Then spend two days after we pass our test brushing up skills and dealing with recruiters and company offers. Luckly the recruting and offers stuff won't apply to me.

Which leads me to the "Good News" part of the post. Crete's HR department called today to let me know that they were offering me my pre-hire notice and that with my record and history that I only needed to graduate from class and retake the DOT physical and drug screen to start my orientation and training with them on March 18th.

I am so happy now it isn't even funny, Crete is my first choice (some may not agree) but it has everything I want and I never even talked to a recruiter to make my decision. I made my decision based on information I've found posted by others on trucker forums and actually speaking to Crete drivers at truckstops and at the Wilmer, Texas terminal which is about an hour from my house.

I still have my pre-hire from Schneider and Prime but I hope I do not have to fall back on it.

That's all for today ...

9. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I agree with this in many respects, my only question is what exactly are you doing for ten weeks? Going weekends only or only like 6-8 hours a day?

The course I am attending is 200 hours. 50 Hours of Classroom and 150 Hours of drive time. And it is good drive time, as the classes are small, and only three students per instructor. (In my case only two per instructor, and we have more than one so our individual driving time will be much higher because we will get a ton on one-on-one time with driving).

I'm not knocking a longer school, but after checking around ITDS has a good reputation as a school who turns out well prepared drivers and doesn't just mill them out. They have a policy of no more than eight students in any class, period.

As as our instructor told us today, this school will prepare you for driving, get you your license and get you ready to go OTR with a company trainer to really get going and learn how to be a professional driver.

Now, I can't say that the last part will always be right because every company has a different OJT method. I do know how Crete's works because they've told me and I've had that confirmed by folks who are there at the company. I know I won't know everything once I have my CDL in my pocket, but at least I'll be ready to get behind the wheel and be semi-comfortable with driving once I get with the trainer.

150 hours behind the wheel in school is nothing to sneeze at, considering I've read from others that they were lucky to spend 10 total hours in the cab before "graduating".

10. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Well, today was the last day of DMV testing preperation. We covered Combination, Doubles/Tripples and Pre-Trip inspection. We also took the FMCSA Safety Regulations test, talk about a joke.

I think the whole point of the FMCSA test is to get you to actually open the book and look at it, a good thing I guess for most folks. Personally, I didn't need a test to get me to open the book and look through it if I have questions on the regulations.

Tomorrow morning we have to be at the DMV at 7am to take all my tests, should be a fun day :)

11. Cub

Cub Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Central Florida
    Concerning Mid Florida Tech, I just went to their orientation in Orlando today. Here are some details:

Their cost for a CDL Class A license is $2007.06 and they have financial aid (which is going fast), they've an 8-week course (Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Do Not Miss A Single Day because they can't stop class just to catch you up), you do get homework, and I saw about half a dozen good-looking rigs on a rather large paved schoolyard. They said their Class A folks each get 1,250 miles on the road during training.

Before you can register, they'll need you to attend their orientation (Tuesdays in Portable 4 at 11:30 a.m.), take their TABE test (to see if you have 6th grade reading skills), get your CDL learners permit (available at any Driver License office) and take a D.O.T. physical in a Centra Care medical facility (it's the best and cheapest folks they can find; they're looking out for your pocketbook here).

Mid Florida Tech looks darned good to me.

God bless and drive safe,
    Cub

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.