Getting tired of the Roehl game

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by ETCH5858, Oct 7, 2009.

1. sikwitit

sikwitit Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I feel you guys. I started with Roehl last July and I am sick of their mess. I can't seem to get consistent miles with them. They tell you if you stay out longer, they can get you more miles. That's a flat out lie. The last time I was out for 18 days and I could barely get 2500 miles one week and 2000 the next. On top of that, It's always a problem when it's time to get you home. I am getting ready to say goodbye to this company and hope for the best somewhere else. I hear that this used to be a great company to work for but, over the last couple of years, it's gone down hill. I'm told that the son is running things now and he is all about the safety awards instead of keeping good drivers. I am a driver with all my endorsements, no accidents and no tickets or violations. Surely someone will hire me. I do know that drivers for Roehl quit in packs. One week while at one of the terminals, 13 drivers quit that week. Go figure. If you want to work for this company to get your experience, then go ahead. Don't try to make a career with them though.

Baack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sikwitit

sikwitit Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I see how much turn around Roehl has because either terminal that I'm at, there is always an orientation going on. At the same time, why are so many long term drivers now leaving Roehl. Roehl is only concerned with saving the company money. They more miles the drivers drive, if they meet a certain quota, the DSR's get a bonus. This is one reason why they are not concerned with getting the drivers home when they ask. At the Gary, IN terminal right now, there are personal belonging of 30 or 40 drivers that have quit and Roehl has not shipped them their things. If you get with this company, just look to put up with a lot of bull. Get your experience and get out. There are companies that will pay you 34 to 40 cents per mile with 1 year experience. Roehl is only gonna pay you 31.5 cpm after 1 year with them. I know because that's what I went through.

4. sikwitit

sikwitit Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I couldn't have said it better. Roehl has a bunch of new trucks in Marshfield, WI but, they won't issue them to drivers because the try to get all they can out of the old junk they have on the road now. That's a tax right off for them. As for the turn around, if they can show a lot of turn around, they may be able to get funding from the government.

5. sikwitit

sikwitit Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    You're right about Rick Roehl, he doesn't care. If he did, he would wonder why he's lost so many drivers in a years time. I know guys that had been with Roehl for years and recently just couldn't deal with them anymore. O/O is what Roehl is going to eventually become. They are not who you want to work for as a company driver. I really don't think they care at times if they keep company drivers or not. O/O's get all of the money loads with the miles and company drivers get the leftovers.

6. spinpsychle

spinpsychle Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2008
    New Brighton, MN
    You obviously forgot to hit the quote button because you've replied to four different posts and I have to work to figure out which ones those are.

Anyhow, I absolutely could never get home the day they said I was supposed to. Especially if I told them I had an appointment. At my new job, I've been able to go to the doctor and I'll be seeing the dentist tomorrow. Not possible at Roehl.

They say they can't predict freight but I went to the same half-dozen customers over and over and over. Straightening this one issue out would cut their turnover in half.

7. 666

666 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2010
    in the driver seat
    he doesn't care cause in the short run, which is ALL they are concerned with, they don't have to pay mileage increases. it's a driver mill, short and sweet.

mycorky Thanks this.
  8. 666

666 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2010
    in the driver seat
    I've had it a dozen times. I'm currently looking for a new company but there's not much better out there I'm finding. Never getting me home, I was 11-3, now I'm 18-4, keeping me out late then cutting me short on days off. no raises due to shorten miles by roehl. I only average 1800 miles a week and I'm going broke working here. and they've told me I'm lucky to be getting those miles, a lot of drivers are sitting. SO WHY THE HE** ARE THEY STILL HIRING DRIVERS?! and why do they say they have lots of miles and a need for drivers on the radio? I should sue for false advertising.

mycorky Thanks this.
  9. Summit23

Summit23 Light Load Member

May 24, 2009
    KY
    Same thing has been happening to me. I stay out about 24-30 then go back out for 14 to 24. Everything is fine until its time to send me home then the problems start. "Sorry no loads in your area!!!" Then why the hell did you send me up here!! Im looking at Maverick now. I dont want to leave but this is getting rediculous. So got to keep my options open.

10. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I have been told repeatedly and have no reason to doubt that there is an order to load distribution. Teams and trainers come first, then the o/os. Next in line are the hometime drivers, last come the regional and national drivers. I drive in the 7/4-7/3 fleet and every national or regional driver I have ever talked to says that I am getting as many or more miles as they are.

The reason Roehl and all the other companies don't improve is that they keep comparing themselves to each other instead of asking what drivers really are looking for in this business. They aren't looking to be a great home for drivers, they just want to be a little better than the competition.

I have also found that many drivers are never happy, because they have never figured out what makes them happy. I have met drivers who jump from company to company and are always dissatisfied. This isn't meant for any individual, just a general observation I have found sitting in driver's rooms. If you don't know what you are looking for, you'll never know if you've found it.

I have heard all the comments from my dsrs that I am reading on this thread. I start pushing them to find a load out of an area as soon as I get the first load. My philosopy is that I'm not hear to make friends, I'm here to make money. If my dsr doesn't want me ragging on him, then keep me rolling. Just remember pain is a greater motivator than pleasure.

almostthere Thanks this.
  11. GypsyWillowDusk72

GypsyWillowDusk72 Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    everywhere
    Has anyone seen or heard from Smiley? Last time I saw her on here she was asking others if they have seen a change in their miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.