Getting Truck / Authority Beware - The Ship Has Sailed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    When I was in HS, they preached college college college! You won’t amount to a #### if you don’t go.

I didn’t go and went into the real world. I’ve always been self dependent make it on my own type though. Many people I know have massive amounts of debt and make 35k per year. As far as my son goes I will not push him either way. If he wants to go great, if not he will be just fine. I’ll focus on teaching him common sense and street smarts like my father did me.

If anything I’ll discourage him from owning trucks LOL, which means he will probably end up owning trucks!

Edit: IMO for most college means you go into debt, lose a lot of experience you could be getting, and likely develop a drug habit. No thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Wow Oct 18th seems like such a long time ago. Great that this thread lives on in 2019. How many lives has this thread saved??

NONE!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    tommymonza Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I could not book anything decent for Monday yet. Looking out the window I see it is snowing and I'm glad I am home. I remember that the beginning of 2017 was even worse but that was the end of the down cycle and now we have the beginning of it. I wish I had some historical data of freight rates from the last 15 years to see the trends and how long the down cycles lasted. The recent momentum for good rates was from Fall 2017 and still continues until the general freight averages will fall below 2 dol which is pretty near or even 1.75. The gravy time was not for too long.

The prophets of ELD boosted rates are quiet already. It is rather painful to get accustomed to run for $500-600 or even $1000 less on some lanes. I will go out there to keep up some revenue sooner or later but I don't anticipate to work my ### off this winter or even the entire year. Some of local open deck and dump truck owners are complaining about the lack of work too, which historically is a litmus test for a freight market saturation. They'll join the general freight carrier force soon too. Here's my prediction of 2019: averaging 2 dol a mile this year may not be something to laugh at. Sometime in Spring there will be good time for shopping around at Arrow Truck Sales, if someone is interested.

Midwest Trucker and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Hopefully the new Trailer sales cycle is finally over. Usually a 9 yr cycle. Was boosted and extended recently. I’d like to see better pricing. In 2008 I could have gotten a brand new 07 Dry Van for $20 k. Financial markets frozen though.Dealer had big $22000 letters on side. No buyers.Freight rates are so volitile. Even past trends mean nothing. Waiting for a drop since fuel went down. So far steady rates are holding for Me.

Midnight_tim Thanks this.
  6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    So far (knock on wood) my jobs are all holding at $2.75 to $3.50 a mile here on the west coast when I need to use brokers. My contract freight is holding steady well above that, in fact other carriers in my lanes raised their rates January 1st, so hopefully that will bode well for me being slightly less than them.

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Good for you! Go get 'em, tiger.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I hear yah man. Brokers are ultra greedy this week. From what I’ve saw it’s normally 2 yrs crap and 1.5 years good. Who knows though I’ve only been in business since 2008 and trucking hard since 2013.

No kidding about Monday. It’s such bad timing too. I have my first ever team starting and ended up having to book a 300 mile run late in the day. So embarrassing. Anything around 1000 miles was running for cost or below. They are guaranteed $2400/wk so I better figure it out! More pressure but in a sense less because I can run them any which way. We’ll see! Maybe this snow will help the rates some.

Good luck out there folks.

9. Midnight_tim

Midnight_tim Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I feel like January is always rough when it comes to rates. Most people just captured their previous year numbers and immediately start to panic. I got quoted 750 on a 500 mile run. After some back and fourth, I turned down the load. Rep called me back later and we got above my minimal rate, sob story about how his boss was forcing him to go with those rates because they had spent too much on freight the previous year.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Reason for edit: grammer
    Tug Toy and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm glad I paid forward and saved a few bucks going into the new year.

The van rates (spot freight) on the I-5 have fallen off very sharply as have many other other parts of the country.

Look at some of these rates. The $3,200 rate from Portland to Atlanta disgust me. That's a Pepsico offering btw.

Offers.JPG

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Midnight_tim

Midnight_tim Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I never go by those. I call and negotiate. Can bounce a few 500 mile runs and make more in the same time

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.