Getting Truck / Authority Beware - The Ship Has Sailed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, Oct 18, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Oops. o_O

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Ooooooh no you admitted to having a workibg brain AND being a democrat??? You have gone and done it, you have doomed yourself to flames forever.

4. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I don’t believe in hell, unless it’s driving for a mega.

roadgoddess Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I understand what you see but your sources are skewed. There are a lot of reasons why I say this and the trends like this hasn't popped up in the past.

I agree with you about newbies but we have some newbies and seasoned old farts still saying the water isn't fine, come on in.

We saw a surge in freight across the board, some segments fell off quickly while others when it settled down and seasonally freight has been predictable. But with the surge, industry capacity and dwell time (that is how much time it takes to get the product off the docks) has not changed or changed slightly which makes this one an oddity. In the past we had a surge, capacity lagged by a quarter to catch up and dwell time increase by 25% until even out.

Load boards are skewed because there isn't a control on who can post what loads. A lot of lanes may have 20% reposts where the broker doesn't own the load at all but just scraped the load off another board or the same board to capture a small margin of revenue.

6. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    47497659-FAF0-4238-B95E-65A21ECEC59B.jpeg

I think the area I highlighted speaks most of the story. Still more freight then last year but 24% more trucks trying to haul it. The economy continues to boom but if there is an over saturation of trucks then it doesn’t matter.

Aka: Gravy Train is over.

77fib77, ChromeNut and TallJoe Thank this.
  8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I have been saying for a long time that there is a driver surplus and nobody listens to me.

9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    All interesting information and I’m always trying to learn all I can. Are you basically saying that everything is fine and to be patient? I felt like the Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Christmas freight would have began kicking in by now.

I tend to be pretty impatient but I also follow trends and October was really ramping up last year. All I see so far is tougher conditions week after week.

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am not even so sure about the more freight volume, at least in my region. I only look at load board sections that affect me and I've seen more loads posted last year. It may not be the best indicator but I'm sure that even considering that only leftovers make it to load boards, there must be some correlation.
    It could be that there is more freight but it is snatched by increased capacity before it even makes it to load bards.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  11. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Every election year slows down before the election ....15 years in this game it's all ways the same the returns to normal soon as it's done

77fib77, roshea, Tug Toy and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.