Getting unstuck....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    When you get stuck on snow/ice or in mud with no traction (even with drive axles locked), what can you do to get unstuck short of not getting stuck in the first place, or crying uncle and getting a tow/winch out? I was at a receiver this morning and had been there before, the area where they used for unloading was deceptively flooded and it was too dark to see that it was about the consistency of peanut butter. I eventually got myself out, and not quite sure how to describe how I did it other than I am sure I made it more difficult than it needed to be. YouTube videos would be great...

On a similar note, anyone using the "tire socks" as a chain alternative? Are they legal in all 48 states (screw Alaska and Hawaii, most of us will never drive there)? I am thinking of getting them slowly over the off season.... what about tire cables?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Best thing you can do is get stuck next to a gravel pile (I actually did that in Montana, pulled off for a load check, and couldn't get going again - right next to a DOT pile of cinders.) If you choose not to do that, in mud you just have to sling the mud IF you can get down to hard ground. If there's no hard bottom, don't spin, or you'll just dig down to the axles. In a manual, you can rock back and forth judiciously and gain enough momentum to get out.

On ice, a bag of kitty litter / oil sorb / coarse crystal salt are all very helpful.

A good set of chains will work in both situations, but I doubt socks will do much in mud.

dptrucker, Oxbow and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  4. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Good advice here.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I tossed down pallets once in a field at a sysco after trying to turn around on it got stuck, and also endured my first tractor jackknife which I broke creating the getting stuck in the first place. Took about 8 pallets in front of both drives, 4 to a side to reach pavement.

Those darn pallets are probably still there to this day about a foot down or more.

truckguy391 and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I got stuck at a shipper once in a ditch that was covered with snow. Under the snow was mud. Was able to throw the chains on, and slowly rotate the tires until I could get them hooked up. Took about 45 minutes of messing around, but I got out. The shipper didn’t care about my problems, but rather was more worried I may have broken their 2” plastic pipe for the hose.

In this situation there was no bottom to the mud. They had just sprinkled the rock on top of the dirt without compacting anything. That was a long, bad day. Was company equipment luckily. I’d never drive my own rig into that hole. Busted an axle attempting to get out.
    1B794DB3-8361-4A70-8EDD-3281925F866C.jpeg B7DF4AB7-6E1F-4BDF-B3FD-9FC46FC0B2E3.jpeg 41FE43C2-2D93-467F-9393-B289B983ED51.jpeg

Momentum from being able to rock back and forth is about the best thing you can have when stuck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    tscottme Thanks this.
  7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    You were lucky to get out..... If there's no bottom any movement just makes you sink. Any movement in those situations has to be very deliberate and purposeful.

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I keep a bag of ice melt and a bag of sand in the sleeper during the winter. Also a tow hook for the front frame worst case.

Not fool proof but can come in handy.

Edit: Also have several bottles of airline ice melt. Can be used to melt ice under your tires also.

9. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I've been stuck a lot. Best advice is to throw a couple chains before going in. Some receivers might have the equipment to yank you out and will tell you go as far as you can. We push ready mix trucks with the dinne all the time.

You're in charge of the equipment. If it takes 20 minutes to throw chains it's better than 2 hours of waiting for a tow truck to winch you out.

If you're not looking at heavy duty running with chains on, meaning you need them to get in and out of a sticky area look for the square links. They're lighter and easier to throw on

10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    if it looks real bad, I've contacted dispatch saying might need a tow out or not go in at all.

have refused to go in a few rat holes over the years.

that's as a company driver.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Next time I’m down there, I’ll have to look. ;)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.