Getting your LLC yourself? Where did you get yours?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Boondocker, Aug 8, 2018.

1. GraniteRiver

GraniteRiver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Yes, if you drive the truck and the company is an LLC you're still losing anything in your name. Thats why nothing is in your name, its in separate LLC's and your truck should be owned in a separate LLC leased to the LLC that runs it. There should be no assets in your name or the name of the trucking company. Its called asset protection.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Friend of mine bought a truck last year, his attorney established a LLC S-Corp. Not sure on the details, he just gave a brief explanation of it over the phone. But according to him, he is recognized as an employee while driving the truck. He pays himself on a salary. Anyone familiar with this? I'm just rather curious here

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There is no asset protection, it is all a lie.

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    There is asset protection- It's what we call having appropriate insurance to handle any and all catastrophies....

Last Attorney said ":I know,Life happens...We'll get this subregated,Relax"

SoCalRed Thanks this.
  6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I do this.. mine is a LLC-Partnership though. I pay myself a paycheck every month for tax reasons... Life sucks sometimes but there really is no 100% protection... if you pay your bills and get out of debt you wont need that protection

Matt43324 Thanks this.
  7. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    I work in collections in a previous life, judgment collections I should add.
    Both sides are somehow correct. A LLC or Corporation will not add any protection if you are also the driver. However can make it difficult for the other party to collect.
    Getting a judgement and collecting on it are two diferant things.
    Remember we don’t have debtor jails. Just because a judge orders you to pay someone for damages it doesn’t mean you have to do it voluntarily. There are no consequences for not paying other than interest being added to the debt.
    There are very few judgement collections attorneys and millions of unpaid judgements. Why do you think that is?
    It is easy to collect from a big business, but collecting from an average Joe good luck.

Matt43324 Thanks this.
  8. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Yep, there is no substitute for a good umbrella policy.

stayinback Thanks this.
  9. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Interesting. Thanks for the knowledge

10. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I didn't ASK for advice. The person that started this thread did sheesh get a life and some glasses.

11. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    Sheesh that post was from so long ago i had to reread the thread to remember what this was about.

Youre right you didnt, my mistake. You just said so many wrong statements so many times i guess i lost track of whose thread this was.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.