Ghosts of truckstops past.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by PackRatTDI, Oct 30, 2014.

1. luftkoph

luftkoph Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2012
    U.P.michigan
    Not in an order of importance, Diamond J's I 80 Pa., Pattys truck stop I 75 Addairsville Ga., Hershey truck stop, I 80 Hershey Ne.., Exit 4 truck stop I 95 Nh. Cab wash Kruegers Troutdale Or. (this one I know is buldozed) Amoco truck stop Hartland Mi. Us 23& M-59 and one I can't remember the name in Tucumcari Nm.

I don't know if any of these are still operating, kind of doubt it tho, for the last 20 some years I don't get to far away from home to scope out the landscape.

thanks for the mammaries

DougA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Poor mothertrucker

Poor mothertrucker Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Visalia, Ca.
    I celebrated new year 2011 at Molly's, in Klamath Falls. (since demolished, and rebuilt as a Pilot)
    Spent many a night at the Deming Truck Terminal (Deming, NM - re-opened as a Pilot - and now closed again!)
    Spent many a day and night at the Mt. Vernon Truck Stop, Mount Vernon, WA. - and many a night at their bar (I still talk to Tiff, the former bartender there).
    Partied my butt off at the Truck Inn, in Fernley, NV. (now a Flying J).
    I used to eat at the restaurant at the Jimco, at Jack Tone Rd.!
    I remember when most TA's were Burns Brothers, and most Pilots were Bossleman's, and the original TA's all had motels attached to them.
    I still occasionally, stop for gas (in my car - I don't drive trucks into California anymore) at the old Giant, in Mojave, CA.
    I remember doing a reset at the old Flying J (or was it a TA) at the end of Hwy 18 west of I-5, in Federal Way, WA.! (now a shopping center)
    I also remember when El Piso was literally peppered with truck stops, from end to end, and on both sides of the Interstate, and The Cadillac Man was always among the advertisers on the CB, vying to take tourists across the border for a day.
    Hell, I even had dinner once, at the ORIGINAL Twin Arrows, back when it was still open, in 1991!

The sad part: I also remember when you could pull into a truck stop any time of the day or night, and there was plenty of parking.

...I'm only 51 years old.

4. Poor mothertrucker

Jul 26, 2009
    Visalia, Ca.
    In fact - I still have a Rip Griffin rewards card somewhere!!!

RockinChair Thanks this.
  5. mp8327

mp8327 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2014
    The name of that restaurant was "Big Duga's"

6. frt60

frt60 Medium Load Member

May 22, 2014
    The old 76 in columbia, 8hio at 7 and 11 still there the old truck stp in pa turnpike exit 2 in beaver falls pa is gone

650cat425 and DougA Thank this.
  7. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Burnhams in SLC and Ronnie's north of Houston. Spent way too much time at both places.

DougA Thanks this.
  8. Poor mothertrucker

Jul 26, 2009
    Visalia, Ca.
    ...Then, there was Bruce's Truck Stop, in Bakersfield (a vacant lot, last time I drove past it)
    I remember when the 49'er in Sacramento was a TA franchise - now it's a Pilot franchise.
    How many of you out there remember Pantyhose Junction???
    The Gear Jammer Truck Stop, in Idaho Falls?
    For that matter, Dad's, in Idaho Falls?
    The Voss Truck Port, on I-44, in Missouri?
    I also remember when the Hat Six Truck Stop in Casper, was a TA.
    I also remember when most of the defunct truck stops along I-40 in Arizona and new Mexico, were still open.

Oh well, at least we still have the Tucson Truck Terminal - and it's going strong! (I was there a week ago)

DougA and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. desperado75

desperado75 Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    looks like an old 76 before TA bought them I don't remember this one but the park and view went under like 98-99

10. desperado75

desperado75 Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2012
    allentown,pa
    1st time I was there I was still with my trainer 20 years ago. went through several remodels and always thought big dugas was to expensive at the time. they also had that secured drop lot behind there worked for a couple companies that used it. when I lived in Salem,IL I would drop a trl there and bobtail home then back again..

11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    For many a year stopping at the 76 in cordilia or what is now a T/A in santa nella. The old 101 truck stop just off the 101 and first street in san jose, ca. some of the best food at them places

the 101 coffee was always free and the hot beef dinner was on three plates.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.