Glad I moved over to Poly Trucking

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by chemster, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I have only been here for six months so I don’t know how it usually it. The last month has been the worst for me, spent 9 days out of the last 30 waiting for a load at Grand Prairie. Maybe they have too many drivers and not enough loads?

radioshark Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Let's hope that's the case because otherwise, incompetent planners would be the explanation. Their current driver ad on MatchedJobs.com says "Avoid the delays, logistical nightmares, and expenses that plague third-party services." Sounds like marketing fluff to me. Backhaul is a third-party service.

4. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I rolled into town for a PM on the Monday before Thanksgiving, put myself on the board for Thanksgiving then took a couple days off. Wednesday rolled around and OB told me there was nothing available until Saturday. My choices were Chicagoland and Dayton. I took Dayton Tx because I wanted to make the last meeting the next Friday. I've missed half of them over the years so I don't want to push my luck. I got paid 200 to sit the 2 days, left Saturday for Dayton >>>Poltex and back to Grand Prairie on Sunday. I was hoping to get a New Braunfels, Laredo etc after that to fill the time until the meeting but was told there was nothing available so I sat until Saturday (5 days) then did a 2500 mile Michigan round trip, returned Thursday and had put myself on the board for Friday but was told there was nothing available until Monday and it is Searcy. That's all they said was available. I've been here all weekend. I don't know when our last paycheck falls but I should make 75k this year, that includes the company 401k match and vacation pay.

I don't check all my orange pay stubs but it seems they have been consistent about paying $100 a day to sit.

There is a Schneider intermodal driver that runs out of Haslet railyard and picks up from Poly. He made 109k last year. He's been with them 28 years. He showed me his paystubs and said he knows Schneider intermodal drivers in KC and Chicago making 95k. His hours are 8pm -10am 5 days a week. I couldn't handle those hours, especially coming back to work from my days off. Could I do it if it was a national emergency? Yes, but it would be hard. The Chicoms would have to be breaching the walls for me to pull overnighters.

I usually get 2500-3000 a year for drop pay, but this year is over 4000 and I don't remember doing anything different. Layover pay this year 2300-2500.

"One Call Does All"

If you ever get stuck in GP during the week, River Trails Dentistry in Fort Worth can usually get you in for a same day appointment if you call in the morning. It's a two woman operation. The dentist doubles as the hygienist and the receptionist is also the dental assistant. They are also willing to send and receive Xrays through email.

I was having a hard time arranging a scaling/planing ($800-1100) appointment at other dentists because they told me I would have to have two separate appointments made in advance. This is impossible with my schedule. I told River Trails on my first visit that I was due for a scaling. It was 11 am, she told me to come back at 3 pm and she did the whole thing in one day. My copay was twenty dollars.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  5. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Having problems with the elog system, I have never used Qualcomm before in a different job.

My big issue is that it turns itself off after the engine has been off for 1 hour, then it takes up to a half hour to turn on and become usable after turning the engine on.

Takes like 10 minutes to boot itself up, but it almost always freezes and then takes another 1-2 boot and restarts to become usable.

After the truck has been running for hours, the logs work fine, but I don’t have a a spare half hour to waste every time I need to move the truck. It prevents me from using personal convayence and I have skipped logging the pre trips because of this.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  6. FritoBandito

FritoBandito Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2020
    They’re always hiring, they have a huge turnover rate. But they’re sold in some aspects and extremely weak in others.

7. Very Metal

Very Metal Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Dirty South,Tn
    I'm so glad I don't drive for Poly Trucking

8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    High turnover rate.
    They got 400 hundred trucks and hire 5 drivers a week.
    You don't have a clue what your talking about.

9. FritoBandito

Feb 13, 2020
    I have a huge clue, I works there for 4 years. Its leas than 400 trucks don’t over exaggerate. Majority of the trucks are parked.
    Only pros there they have are:
    no forced dispatch
    7 days out 7 days off
    No deductible just pay co-pay

cons:
    Junk trucks
    Poor maintenance
    they’re bringing in more and more contractors
    To do company loads not just California loads like they’re supposed to be doing.
    Drivers come in on Monday expecting to leave Tuesday-Wednesday don’t end up leaving until the weekend or next Monday
    Because the company brokered out all of its freight to contractors.

do I need to go on? and yes they may hire 5 because 5 or more have quit.
    I still have the inside scoop, my close friends work in the office.

Frank Speak and mathematrucker Thank this.
  10. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Since 5 times 52 equals 260 and 260/400 = 65% that's not exactly what I'd call a low annual turnover rate, as many companies do better than that, but many do far worse. The terminal I worked out of at my second-to-last company had in the neighborhood of 300% quit (annualized) during the four months I was there.

11. FritoBandito

Feb 13, 2020
    They don’t have 400 trucks they’ve never had 400 trucks. Right now they have less than 220 drivers.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.