glider truck on elog

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by 4noReason, May 31, 2020.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The driver is not required to carry any documentation on the engine year. The company is supposed to have that documentation on file if it becomes necessary.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

So wait. If I'm reading this correctly, let me lay out another question..

My tractor is a 1992 built 1993 model year. Does that mean I can repower with a epa 2000 or newer engine & retain my eld exempt status.?

I was under the impression it was only 1999 epa engine or older, regardless of truck tractor model year..

4. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    If you have an MY2000 or newer engine in your glider, you need an ELD.

Who is exempt from the ELD rule? | FMCSA

Frequently Asked Questions --Electronic Logging Devices and Hours of Service –Exemption Pre-2000 Model Year

Question 20: When does the pre-2000 model year exception apply?

Guidance: When a vehicle is registered, the model year should follow the criteria established by the National Administration (NHTSA). Generally, the model year is determined by reviewing the VIN on the vehicle registration. If the model year is pre-2000 based on the VIN, an ELD is not required.

However, there may be instances when the model year reflected on the vehicle registration is not the same as the engine model year, most commonly when a vehicle is rebuilt using a “glider kit” or when an engine is swapped from one vehicle to another. Vehicles with engines predating model year 2000 are also accepted and are not required to have an ELD, even if the VIN number reported on the registration indicates that the CMV is a later model year. While the driver is not required to possess documentation that confirms the vehicle engine model year, 49 CFR Part 379 Appendix A requires motor carriers to maintain all documentation on motor and engine changes at the principal place of business.

5. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If you truck is pre 2000 you don't need anything. But what you can do is contact the engine manufacturer and get the engine build sheet. For example, I have a 2000 Peterbuilt 379. My engine is a 1999 3406E. I contacted my local Cat dealer and gave them my engine serial number. They emailed me the engine build sheet, I printed it out and carry it with me, even though it's not required. I run paper logs, have been inspected by DOT. When they ask I show them the build sheet. Makes things easier and smoother

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  6. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    i got a build sheet from the builder. so when u get pulled over. do they check ur serial # on ur engine or anything. or do u just say its a glider

7. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    They didn't, for me. But they can. But if your truck is a 1996 Glider, I says glider on your registration, which will most likely discourage them from investigating further. What year is your engine, that your conserned?

8. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    No if you put a 2000 or newer engine in your truck you will have to run ELD. It goes by your engine year.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  9. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    mine is a 2016 columbia glider. the paper from detroit shows its a 96 model engine . my registration simply says 2016 freigh columbia. not columbia-glider

10. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok then you will be fine. Detroit engines actually have the serial number stamped in to the block, cat has a sticker or plate

11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I don't know of anyones registration that says "glider". According to NC, no they won't,cant check your engine serial number to verify its a glider.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.