GLOVES???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Therookie, Feb 14, 2014.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I like the leather gloves with that red winter insulation in them. They are the only gloves I found other than rubber that diesel doesn't soak all the way through. Plus they are comfortable. Buy an XL pair where you don't have to fight to put them on. I usually worked no touch freight but them gloves last. I shoveled snow a couple days ago with my current pair I bought in 2009 on the road. I used them maybe 1.5 years trucking and many times since then doing yard work. They just now got a hole in the leather on one finger.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Reverend Blair

Reverend Blair Light Load Member

May 30, 2011
    Winnipeg, MB
    The "red stuff" is called Thinsulate and I recommend them for winter work. Strapping with numb fingers usually ends badly. I also keep leather mittens with wool mittens inside them in the truck. No good for strapping...no dexterity...but really good if you break down and end up sitting for a while in the cold.

4. TGUNKEL

TGUNKEL Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Spokane,Wa
    Wells-Lamont leather gloves from Costco. 3 pair under 20 bucks.

Gunk

5. HauntedSchizo19

HauntedSchizo19 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Southern Tier, New York
    From my experience using gloves (not for trucking relations) and research, I have concluded that you want a couple of pairs of gloves, for different jobs - or just as backups. For instance, you're tarping/securing a load and your gloves get wet (let's say it's a 300 mile run), instead of using your wet gloves, throw on a new, dry pair. Typically, wet gloves have a higher tendency to rip/get ruined a lot easier. Also, check out Harbor Freight, or Tractor Supply. Buy in bulk, or so I've been told. I am by no means a trucker YET, this is just my 2 cents worth.

Best of luck to you!

Therookie Thanks this.
  6. Warren Earp

Warren Earp Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Oregon
    LMAO ;-) I'm pickin up what you are puttin' down.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    COSTCO, $15.99 for a 3 pk, I can generally get 6 months out of them

8. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    I use a pair of terminator- from http://www.gardenglover.com/ -http://www.gardenglover.com/viewpic.asp?id=6 when its not wet out if its wet I wear a pair of them under the oversize load gloves from pilot seems to do pretty well or some rubber gloves and the fit of the terminators makes using them about like working without gloves I also use them for mechanic work. Down fall is if wet they are cold as heck but rotate them out and they can last a while.thinking about trying out Thermaline http://www.gardenglover.com/viewpic.asp?id=50 may cut back on the use of double gloves

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. crunchy

crunchy Light Load Member

May 12, 2013
    central ky
    Search... Banom, terminator gloves. These gloves are made out of the same stuff that body armor is made from. This web site has a wide variety of gloves. Cut resistant gloves for metal, glass, construction, thermal, you name it. I build houses and hang vinyl and wear the terminator glove on a daily basis and they last all summer long. Well worth the money, less than 10 bucks a pair.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Alot of it is technique. You can wear them out quick if you manhandle everything.

I spent almost a year picking pineapple when I was young. A cheap pair of gloves would last maybe two days and a heavy pair of welding gloves would make it two weeks at best. The gloves began to last longer as my technique improved and the cheap cloves started lasting 3 weeks before that job was over. Try not to slide your hand across things too much and keep them dry.

11. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN

I got hooked on them back working in construction and had some new pairs when i went back to trucking used 1 pair all summer had to throw away from getting soaked in oil and grease but not tore up

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.