Going in for my Hazmat written, do I need a new medical cert?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by I-5 Ca, Nov 10, 2018.

1. I-5 Ca

I-5 Ca Bobtail Member

May 13, 2016
    My situation is a little odd.
    I wanted to get Hazmat added to my License and was wondering if I will need to get a new medical cert for it. or have to take any other written tests.

So I was told a while back that if I wanted to add any further endorsements I had a year to do so without having to do all the tests again. I am just a little confused about my specific time lines and if I will be required to get a new medical or retake any tests again.

So I had wanted to get on with a local company last summer that trains and hires for a seasonal harvest. I wanted to get my permit in my hands before applying. So I got my medical and drivers permit with T and N endorsements. This was in June of 2017. I missed the window to get in with the company so did not get on with them or get my license. But still had my permit and when it was about to expire I got an extension on it which kept it valid long enough from me to train with the company and get my drive test out of the way and get my license.

I took my written tests a year and a half ago.
    My 2 year medical is good for another 7 months
    I have had my license for 4 months
    Will I be required to get a new medical or do any written tests other than Hazmat again? I was not sure if maybe you need to get a medical every year with hazmat or if the fact I have not taken a written in over a year would be an issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You have to have a DOT medical card in order to run Tier One Commerce in interstate or intrastate. Otherwise your license will be downgraded.

Plan on getting a new one in less than 7 months.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your medical card has nothing to do wit hyour hazmat. You will have to pay for and do the fingerprinting and background check and take the written( computer ) test. That is all.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.