Going to look at this truck next week

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Jul 7, 2020.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I hope not. Which ones are the most important? Yeah buddy that 30.00 got my attention.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I know the golden rule around here is to dyno, oil sample, etc. If I were looking at that Truck, I could just about tell if it was good or not.Just by looking at the oil. And the condition of the unit, driving it, making sure it’s not pushing coolant. At that price, and age, the uncertainty of it all, is the bargaining chip. To put it plainly, it’s an old Truck, at a cheap price. It’s going to need repairs, might as well plan on it. Any time gotten out of it, before spending big money, is a bonus. If mileage is correct, it might just be a money maker. One Overhaul is more than the Trucks value. It has to be ran to get the money out of it. Dumping a bunch of cash in it, only to sell in a couple of years, would hardly be worth it. I’ve only done 2 oil samples a mil.miles apart. They were almost identical. Flying colors. Engine blew, within 100k of the last sample. It’s useful to check contaminants, but not a guarantee, not even a good indicator of wear. A dyno can be great, some engines blow when running better than ever. I don’t have any faith in either. Good for avoiding a current problem, I guess. Maybe it’s seeping coolant, ready to blow a head gasket, or drop a liner. But I would go for a low price, and deal with what I bought. If I have to overhaul it, so be it. I won’t be guessing anymore. Still be a low buck, more dependable moneymaker.

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I pay $30 each time I send them a sample.

Here is what the sample will tell you.

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s a better use of oil samples, every time. Watching for trends, catching a problem, before it leaves you stranded. My first Truck showed high iron levels. I bought it anyways. Did rods and mains, since it was required maintenance at 500k, anyways. Ran it to a mil. no problems. High iron? Maybe this, maybe that, didn’t mean anything. I’ve sent samples in, and put 10k on the info sheet, when the oil had 20k, always the same results. I just don’t have much faith in them. I’m probably wrong, guess it only takes once, to change an opinion. So far though, from my experience. Oil samples are highly overrated. Unless doing them every time.

JonJon78, feldsforever and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Make sure, after running it for a little while, it’s not building up excess pressure in the radiator. A pressure test would be best. Making sure it’s holding pressure, and also not building pressure while running. You can also use a stethoscope from harbor freight, listen to the valve train, placing it along the valve cover, listening for differences, as you go. Best to get a thorough inspection from a good Mechanic, worth an hours labor.

650cat425, tommymonza and feldsforever Thank this.
  7. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    Thank you every body. Ride and repair. Thats basically what I'm thinking. For my low monthly personal loan payment and its only two hours from the house I can't go to wrong.
    Its the same truck I might buy from my boss. His is two years younger. But this one literally has one thrid of the miles.
    I'm thinking I'm going to end up with it. I just wonder is there a taboo about buying the first truck we look at?

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t know, Lol. I look for at least a year, before purchasing most vehicles. But I enjoy it. You can at least compare it to the Bosses Truck. I would look real good at the frame and electrical wiring. The rest will be needed sooner or later. I imagine it’s a 14L egr engine. Trucks need repairs. When it’s had a bunch of hacks done, makes it hard. Don’t overlook the small things. It’s easy to talk yourself into a deal. Small things add up, and cause grief. Lots of Trucks like that for sale. Hit them with a low offer. Below your target. It’s an old Truck, hard to finance. Trade in value of about $5k or less. The seller knows it.

feldsforever, 650cat425 and tommymonza Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get a dyno and blowby, if they say no, walk.

feldsforever and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That's an $8k retail truck if anything.

feldsforever and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. feldsforever

Nov 22, 2019
    Whats a blow by?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.