Going to TMC CDL training

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Mr. Wavy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    After looking all around and talking to several recruiters/drivers from various companies, I decided I was going to go with TMC's CDL training program. I'm leaving from Arkansas on the 24th of November to head to Iowa to start the 3 week process there. I'm a little concerned about two things going into this:
    One, I'm 6'4 and 175lbs soaking wet. So I'm worried about the tarp part of the physical test. (I used to work on a farm and have never shied away from hard, physical labor) but I don't have anything around the house that's around the size of a rolled up tarp and 120lbs so I don't really know how to get a feel for it at home.
    And two, I've heard all the horror stories about people getting kicked out after week two or three (or even three weeks into OTR with a trainer). I'm good at doing what I'm told and following directions, I just can't get up there and not get paid for 3 weeks, and get sent home for something dumb, to try to find another company to go with, and wait another 3-4 weeks with no sort of income. I'm the sole bread winner in my home.

I know I'm probably just nervous and overthinking everything and I'm sure as long as I'm not jackin around, and actually do what I'm supposed to be doing, then I'll be fine. But these two things (more the second than the first) I just can't seem to shake.
    Sorry about this being 10 miles long, but really just looking for people that have went through this recently and can give me more of an insight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Sorry I can’t answer any questions about TMC, but I wouldn’t worry about the tarping. I’m not saying it’s easy but I have the same physique as you and I can handle them ok. Many shippers will even assist with getting your tarp onto the load.

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  4. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    Yeah, I'm not as worried about actually getting them up there while actually picking up loads as from what I understand, most forklift drivers wont care to put them up there for you. It's the test of lifting the lumber tarp off the ground to the shoulder to put on the trailer. Climbing on the trailer to put it on a coil and getting it over to the other side and back down that makes me nervous. But thanks for the reassurance! Are you a company driver?

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I wonder if they have a time limit for that test? Taking your time with that stuff is important. Don’t rush yourself and don’t try to impress anyone. I don’t do much tarping but I am up on the deck a lot moving crap around and tossing chains, etc. I often get in a hurry and trip over my own feet. Then I gotta yell at myself to slow the F down. I only fell off the trailer once, trying to move a large bundle of rebar with my winch bar. It’s a good thing I’m not fat or I would still be recovering from that.

It’s a lot of work and it’s downright hazardous at times but I love it. It’s a cool feeling when you are driving down the road showing off the load that you secured yourself for all to see. Be sure to check out the flatbed forum on this site, lots of good info there and lots of regular posters who really know their stuff.

Oh and yes, I am a company man lol. I am actually in the process of switching companies, getting out of the flatbed game and into tankers (I would love to keep flatbedding but that company just wasn’t doing it for me).

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  6. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    Thanks a lot man, very good advice. And I decided a while back that when I did get into this, I definitely at least wanted to try out flatbed. I want to actually have a part in the stuff that I'm hauling and I can appreciate a job well done. Best of luck with the transition! Which company do you work for now?

7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I went through their program in March and got my CDL through them. They run a good program, and the securement portion will be the biggest challenge of your time in Des Moines.

The tarping "test" is a matter of following instructions. They have a physical therapist there when you do it and his sole purpose is to observe your actions and rate whether you will be a high risk of injury. If he rates you as high risk due to serious struggling with the tarp or not safely completing the exercise, his vote and his vote alone will send you home well before you get to see the inside of a Peterbilt.

He demonstrates everything they want you to do and how to do it, and he is very friendly and encourages questions and clarification. The actual act of moving the tarp from shoulder to trailer is simply rolling it off your body onto the deck.

1. Pick up the tarp by picking one side up so it is parallel to your body.
    2. Bend down and grip the tarp as they showed you (hard to describe)
    3. Hoist the tarp onto your shoulder
    4. Walk the tarp over to the flatbed and transfer from your shoulder to the deck.
    5. Climb on the flatbed as shown (from the rear using the DOT bumper)
    6. Lift the tarp again and place onto a 40k coil, and push to the center of the coil
    7. Walk around, using 3 points of contact to the other side of the coil, and drop the tarp on the deck
    8. Climb down from the deck
    9. Move the tarp back onto your shoulder
    10. Flop the tarp down where instructed.

This is all done while the tarp is rolled tight. The rest of the tarping portion is done to show how to fold the tarp and this whole process is also given the idea that you will learn the majority of your tarping techniques when you are on the road with your trainer. I did this test while a bit heavier than you, but very out of shape having been behind an office desk for several years and living a very sedentary lifestyle.

Just bend with your knees, don't twist your body at the torso, and don't over extend your back. This is not timed.

Although, had TMC including my neck of the woods in their hiring map, I would have gone to Maverick and would probably still be skateboarding. You being in Arkansas might consider it.

IluvCATS, Highway Sailor and Mr. Wavy Thank this.
  8. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the insight @classicst are you still with TMC?
    And I did look into Maverick and would've probably went with them if I wasn't looking to move sometime in the next two years and since their program requires a two year contract, I'd have to break it since where we are wanting to move is out of their hiring area

9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I’m not with TMC any longer. I broke my contract early because I had an opportunity to peddle freight locally for a LTL carrier with much higher pay and substantially better benefits.

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  10. Mr. Wavy

Mr. Wavy Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Arkansas
    That's awesome, glad you found something better and hopefully you enjoy more too man

McUzi Thanks this.
  11. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Thanks. TMC was great to work for, you’ll get solid training and good equipment.

Mr. Wavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.