going up hill

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by amtrack, Apr 18, 2013.

1. AndrewMemphis

AndrewMemphis Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Southeast region
    I'm usually good going up a hill carrying 40,000 lbs from a stop in 3rd gear (using a 10 speed). I just let up on the clutch gradually, and you will learn to get a feel for if you're letting up too quickly or not by how the engine sounds. I used to drive a daycab, I don't know what was wrong with it.. whether it was the engine or transmission but it always had problems going up hills without rolling backwards, even just gradually letting up off the clutch as I described. I guess I should have complained more to Breakdown for it to be fixed, because I never felt safe in that thing on any sort of an incline. I'm glad I have a different truck now.

But in all seriousness, every situation is different. People on this forum have told me that there is no such thing as "ALWAYS" and "NEVER" when you're driving a truck. You will know how your truck will operate, and you'll be able to decide what you need to do based on the weather and traffic conditions too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    A lot depends on motor tranny combo--and since some of the replies offer some good advice--Ill add this--many/most of the newer setups--have higher torque ratin at lower rpms--I would suggest--easin out like has been described earlier--but do not run up into higher revs--shift gently at lower rpms--(not gonna talk numbers)each set up is different--so find out yours--you will fell the power--as r's start to climb--while still at low rpm--gently slide into the next one--be it floatin or doublin--whatever you are comfortable with--take your time--take it slow--dont overthink it--and DO NOT--run it up high as you can and GRAB the next one--especially with a low rpm hi torque motor--unless of course you want to leave your drivetrain on the road under you--
    Good Luck

lovesthedrive and mjfmjf Thank this.
  4. SilverDelta79

SilverDelta79 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    K, so, I have to post this as embarrassing as it is. I'm a new driver. Stalled out on a very steep grade. Couldn't get the truck to start rolling. I was panicking, but there was a passing lane so it's not too bad. My problem was panicking. I forgot to take a second to examine my situation. Anyone leave the range selector in high at a light? I dont do that anymore. But, I did on this hill.

My amateur advice is to stop. Take a breathe and look at all your controls. I feel like a moron, but, I learned something that was never taught to me just now.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Good advice. Stop everything, take a breath. Forget about traffic behind you. They’re gonna be mad anyhow. I’ll stab the clutch once quickly when needed on a steep hill, otherwise just ride it up slow.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You have two kinds of "experienced" driver: 1 does what he was taught, the other screwed up. You can normally tell who's who from their conversation. One will tell you that he was taught X...the other will tell you how to do it. That guy that just tells you how to do things, guess how he learned? He screwed up. He was feeling like a moron just like you. Got through, got back in the saddle and he kept going.

Education is a wonderful thing. But either you were taught by watching someone else or you learned from screwing up. When you learn something new, mark that day off as a good day. "Today was a good day. Tomorrow will be better."

Luck in battle, hand.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You put her into granny low.

Red line gently the rpms in that gear.

Make the shift up. DO not miss it. Because here you have nothing to fall back on. (Pun unintended.. ha...) Ease the hammer back off before you break the power with clutch to do shift.

Work your way up the tree until your engine fails to reach redline gently. Hold her at that RPM whatever it is as long it's above torque RPM the rest of the way to the top. Keep a eye on your water temp, engine oil temp, trans temp, axle temps and your pyrometer. No more than 1350 F at any time, there is no need for that.

If you have a extreme grade off a stop sign combined with a turn in either left or right, you do not come out of gear at all. You stay in it until your turn is complete and you are straightened out. There is too much pressure on your 5th wheel which also includes trailer angles trying to pinch your drives in some cases. It will take longer than usual to get out of the hole.

You can run anything this way, gently. Relatively speaking. The main thing is not to stand on the floor and wind your truck out until you burn her up by abuse. Its not necessary.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    How steep we talking here and how long?

If it’s anything on road you just gotta practice it will come with time.

If it’s off road sometimes it’s best just to roll in 2nd or so for two reasons. Good torque and you’re moving but not so fast you’re tearing up the truck.

x1Heavy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Excellent post.

EVERY day presents a new opportunity to prove I'm a rookie.

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes. As @SilverDelta79 said the best thing is to stop, take a deep breath, and work through the problem.

Here is another classic example: you are in a tight urban environment and need to make a turn that is REALLY tight. As your trailer starts to approach that curb and stop sign...

...stop. Set the parking brakes. Put on the 4 ways. Put your safety vest on (it's amazing how much authority citizens grant you if you wear a safety vest, hard hat, and steel toed boots), then GOAL the #### out of the situation...

...right now it doesn't matter whether folks held up in traffic get where they are going. What matters is you don't hit anything. This is also a good time to call the police and ask for assistance. A couple months ago I had to call for police assistance twice on the same day. Once in Los Angeles to avoid taking out a stop sign and later in Oakland to stop traffic, so I could back into a customer's yard.

Always take time to assess what your options are and proceed with caution.

10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Yup, don’t worry about the #### cars. They all hate you regardless of what you do anyways lol.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Profanity delivered with a touch of expertise and a higher volume generally sorts out the dimwits in the cars.

One particular lady in the Dairy at that light was not having any of that. 4 people moved for me but she didnt. The lawman had to make her move by threats. My actions in the middle of the intersection was a little bit of laurel and hardy. Pulled buttons, killed engine prop boots on dash, wave off loud lady and light a smoke.

The entire city at that point pretty much settled in themselves or engaged the loud lady in moving please #### it you hold up whole city, whatsdamattawidyou?

Takes a little bit of courage to do that on purpose on my part. I was thinking Im going to jail forever. But no... it worked out.

Lepton1 and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.