Gone in 60 minutes.. Cannot locate significant air loss

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Concorde, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    2014 KW T-680, Paccar MX-13, 585k miles.
    Disconnected from trailer.

Turning to the experts on TTR for guidance on my air leak issue. Unfortunately the shop I paid $315 to today couldn’t find it.. Nor could the last two reputable shops I paid to find it when the leak was not as bad.

Started my truck this morning and noticed my air was depleted. Has had a slow leak somewhere that causes the compressor to kick on every 15 minutes..Two shops were unable to locate and I paid the bills and moved on.

This morning however, Compressor was kicking on every two minutes. Bring it to another shop down the road and they find a main air line push fitting leaking. They replaced that but it didn’t cure or even slow my air loss. Next they sprayed “everything” with soapy water. Unable to locate it I paid my bill and headed back to the truck stop.

Rate of air loss using the stopwatch on my phone.
    From full charge until compressor kicks on 2.15 minutes consistently.
    Full charge...shut down engine.
    120psi to 60 in 12 minutes...50psi in 18 minutes.
    Depleted @ zero in 60 minutes.

There are no audible air leaks. Primary and secondary gauge drop at same rate.

Starting to wonder if it could be a problem with or at the compressor (Seems the only place left to explore). Is there some kind of check valve at the compressor that could be bad?

I have another air related issue and perhaps perhaps they’re related..?

Over the last 5 months or so I have had 4 incidents where the compressor failed to kick on.
    After the 3rd time I had the air governor replaced being that it was the cheapest repair to try. Two weeks later it happened again..

New governor kicks out at 120psi..the old one kicked out at 125+ psi.

Sitting in Enid, OK scratching my butt trying to figure out what to do.. Thinking to find a deep lake to submerge my truck in while I look for bubbles with a beer in hand

Dino soar, stwik, Cattleman84 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Did you or anyone check air bags etc. Assuming its air ride. If you have a air dump valve, dump air bags. See if that changes air psi drop. Also does releasing, or setting your brakes change anything other than the initial air charge to realease them. Probably not your brakes though. Usually its audible and easy to hear a maxi leaking. Air ride bag on your cab? Had those get real quiet leaking when the air psi got low. If you can park where it is quiet..lay under truck and listen. Don't fall asleep, lol.

4. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    A silent leak like that is probably coming out of a valve exhaust port. If you can find which valve???

I would roll under it and put my palm over every exhaust port till you feel it build pressure. Start at the front with your ABS valves and work back to your park brake relay, and don’t forget your foot valve on the firewall.

It also sounds like your chasing more than one by the way the rate changes after the 60 psi cut off.

It also sounds like the check valves between the wet, primary, and secondary tanks are leaking since they are dropping together.

5. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I just checked it with my bags dumped and the loss rate didn’t change..Had one replaced a couple months ago and I could hear it even though it was only a pinhole.
    The mechanic today checked them twice with the soapy water.. Cab air bags soaped twice..also had one of those replaced along with a cab leveling valve.
    Tried with brakes set and released..no difference. Even though the mechanic said it would be audible if the brake chambers were leaking he checked them with the soap water also..

Dave_in_AZ and stillwurkin Thank this.
  6. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Do you have a trailer with auto inflate? Or was tests done Bob tail? Tractor protection valve has been soap tested?

stillwurkin and Concorde Thank this.
  7. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Everything was done disconnected from my trailer..

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    All great advice. Only other thing is..with age comes hearing loss. Believe me i am experiencing it..don't know your age but if you get by the house and find your young relatives ,or your children, get them to listen. Lol. My grandkids have helped out before.

9. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    The compressor it self could be leaking air into the engine where you wouldn't be able to hear it. Just an idea.

Dave_in_AZ, starmac and Concorde Thank this.
  10. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    From a little research I’m doing now I’m thinking that it could be a check valve at the air dryer...draining air back to the unloader valve..

11. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Air slide fifth wheel ?? Connector

Dave_in_AZ and Concorde Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.