Good company for husband and wife team?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Mom and Dad, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Mom and Dad

Mom and Dad Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    After 30 years of office jobs and the kids grown and gone, the wife and I are looking forward to becoming an long haul husband and wife team. Does anyone have recommendations and/or experience with a company that is good for teams like us? Thanks everyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadie363

Roadie363 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Tulsa, Ok
    We are a husband/wife team with grown kids as well in school right now. We are planning on going with Interstate Dist Co out of Tacoma, Wa. They seem really geared to teams and there is not too much bac you will find about them on these forums. Seem to take good care of their teams.
    Gordon is another. You will hear about Crete too, but we have been told they are not really geared for teams, tho they do have them.
    Good luck in your search!!
    Cheers
    Roadie and Wingz

4. K&J

K&J Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Central Florida
    We are a husband and wife team and have been in school for Interstate for the last 5 weeks and leave for Orientation and OTR training tomorrow. I have talked to several h/w teams that work for Interstate as well as several wives of current drivers that are going to school with us to become h/w teams and everything I have heard is positive. Even talking to their husbands (current solo drivers) when they pull though to visit has been nothing but positive.

5. Foxhunt75

Foxhunt75 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Central Refrigerated seems to be very family oriented.
    During training, I let them know that my wife was having health issues at home.
    I told them that I may need to come home to help sort them out.

They told me GO!! and get back when you can! :yes2557:
    They call every week to see how everything is going.
    I go back this comming wednesday.

6. coaster

coaster Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Latrobe, PA
    Just be careful what your getting into,theses companies want teams so their trucks can run 24/7 not much time for sight seeing!!!

7. Foxhunt75

Foxhunt75 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Sight Seeing? How do you earn money sitting still?:biggrin_25523:

Anyway, that's what the 34 hour restart is for right?
    Enjoy that while it lasts.

8. Roadie363

Roadie363 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Tulsa, Ok
    Hey K&J
    As of right now we plan on being there somewhere around first of the month. In school with Sage at Salt Lake City at the moment, and have about 2 weeks left of that.
    BOL, hopefully we'll see ya there!
    Cheers
    Roadie and Wingz

9. Mom and Dad

Mom and Dad Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks everyone. We will definitly look up Interstate and talk to those folks.

10. shookup

shookup Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Just definitely stay away from CRST. My husband and I had the same hopes as you, and we ended up going with CRST. Total nightmare! The required 4 weeks of training was like military bootcamp for me complete with being screamed at, having things thrown at me and ripped from my hands as well, and just constant verbal abuse. My poor husband kept saying "What have I gotten you into?" and it was a horrible experience for both of us. The company might be good, but the hell you go through to get through training just is beyond comprehension. I have also heard good things about Interstate. I don't remember if they are one of the companies who will train you both together, but there are a few who will. Considering what we (I mainly) went through being trained apart, I highly recommend that. Good luck to both of you. I hope it works wonderfully for you.

11. EvilDucky

EvilDucky Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    When my wife and I started we went with Covenant because they were about the only ones that trained H/W teams together 3 in a truck. It does get very crowded with 3 people spending 40 days in the cab and my wife and I are small people thankfully. Overall it wasn't bad after firing our first trainer besides the time we were raided by the cops at a TA in MN, they thought my wife was a prostitute :biggrin_2555:(2 guys and a girl in a truck) took 45 minutes and a mountain of paperwork to convince them otherwise. Covenant gets a bad rap but our two years with them were great had no problems averaged 6200 wk and the few emergency's we had they went out of their to help. We got burnt out and got off the road about 18 months ago but are going back out in a few weeks with US Express. Interstate (IDC) has a real good rep for teams and don't think you could go wrong there, they were the first place we looked when we decided to go back out and the only reason we chose US is they pay more and have a 5K signing bonus now for experienced teams.

Good luck wherever you guys end up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.