Good company for husband and wife team?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Mom and Dad, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Ever watch Movin' On? Will and Sonny were the team drivers in that show, and they managed to do just fine sightseeing. They did very little driving, as they were always shoving their noses into people's business trying to right some social wrong. Of course, they were running during the pre-party-crash days, so it's no surprise. I wonder what those guys could do today working for somebody like Swiftquit, complete with Q-comm?

Seriously, there are several good companies out there that will gladly take teams. With diesel hitting 3 bucks a gallon, I believe team driving will become more and more of a necessity, so it should be fairly easy to find a team-oriented company now.

However, I also predict the railroads will rise from a comatose state, given Warren Buffet's latest moves, so even a team-driving job may not last long.

Good luck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fithee57

Fithee57 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Alabama

I agree with you completely!! Crst doesn't even screen their trainers. All they have to do is drive OTR for 6 months and they can automatically train! I think this is absolutely absurd. My boyfriend and I went with them and my boyfriend had a pretty good trainer, but I on the other hand had a complete sexist drill sergeant wanna be that had already been stabbed by another female co-driver because she claimed he had forced him self on her. Of course he denied ever forcing himself on her, he just said that she was crazy.. Well, during my training with him I sat in a hotel for 4 days while he went to court where he had pressed charges against HER for stabbing him. Well, the jury agreed with her sexual harassment defense and found her not guilty of assault. Now, true, he never laid a hand on me, he did mentally abuse me. He yelled at me constantly and told me that I was doing everything wrong, and that he couldn't sleep when I was driving and just brought me to tears everyday because of something. He would tell me to handle the truck one way in a situation and then when the situation re-occurred the next time he would get on to me for doing it the way HE told me to and tell me to do it differently. I was so confused about it all! I would call my boyfriend in tears, when he would actually let me use my phone, and he would be so worried. He would tell me how his training was nothing like that and that we should go home. Well, I tried to stick it out and I did for two weeks, but I finally came home because I was tired of the mental abuse. I'm just so angry that CRST would even put him with a female after the problems he had already had with a female! I called the student coordinator and he acted like it was no big deal, so we decided to completely leave the company. They don't care about their drivers. I wouldn't suggest anyone working for them. It was a horrible first experience for me.

4. Mom and Dad

Mom and Dad Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    There's some really good info here...thanks again ya'll. Interstate looks to be big on our call list but the post about Covenant interests us too. We are not far from Chattanooga which is Covenant's home base. After all the bad stuff we've read about them, it's nice to read something positive. One thing seems sure, we need to avoid CRST.

5. K&J

K&J Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Central Florida
    We flew into Tacoma today Oct. 7 and start Orientation tomorrow. Hope to see you there!!! There are 5 of us from Mesaland C.C. here and we'll all have denim shirts with embroidered trucks and the college name on the back.

6. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    Although I can't give you a reccomendation for a good team company that hires rookies, I will say that once you get one to two years experience, you will be fine. There are countless team companies in north Georgia that have great runs to the west coast and back hauling mainly poultry out and produce or other refrigerated groceries back. Kennesaw, East West, Quest Global, RWH, AAX, and CDS justto name a few. If you expand the radius out from Atlanta to the Carolinas and Alabama, there are literally hundreds of good team operations. So the point is, you are in perhaps the perfect spot to do what you are wanting to do.

You know, now that I think about it, I believe that BWI(Benny Whitehead) out of the Eufala,AL area hires students. You may want to give them a look. They run teams only and only run southeast to the west coast lanes(THE gravy lane). For the rest of you who may be wondering who this company is, they are the ones who run the yellow trucks with red fenders and fairings(frieghtliners).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

7. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    My company that I drive for has a terminal in Sumter S.C.,they have teams here also,not sure of experience needed here,but Hartt Transport has been around over 50 years. It is the best one I have ever drove for,laid back,not alot of stress and plenty of miles and hometime. Not the highest paying but hardly any stress or attitude problems,great folks in all depts, Alot of older drivers here that have been here for years,lease opprtunities to buy your first truck,with a plan that lets you actually pay for it and still pay your bills,or team company drivers,solo company drivers,and we also broker loads out of maine for you owner operators with your own rights,also lease operators,where Hartt pays your plates etc. Over 400 trucks and 1000 company trucks,plenty of freight to keep you busy. I wish I had started and stayed at this company,I wasted many years trying others,would have paid for a truck by now and been alot more secure.There are many drivers that have leased and paid for trucks here,and are on their 3rd or 4th one.I get home every 6 or 7 days and get over 3ooo miles almost every week. Some stay out if they want to.

8. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Depends on what your looking for. I have driven for a few companies,and it seems they all keep the teams running steady.You will definitly get the long hauls,1000 plus miles,with just about any company.As a general rule the solo drivers get most of the 400 to 500 mile runs,while the teams are treated very good. Course thats what team driving is all about,a team should be able to get a long load there in 1/2 the time.

9. shookup

shookup Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2007
    I completely understand what you are talking about here. My trainer did many of the same things to me. She would tell me to do things one way and when I did them that way, she would scream and yell at me for doing it. I never knew which way was up with either woman I trained with. My first one would constantly yell at me to "get back there and get to sleep," as soon as I was finished driving but then would be upset at me saying I should be spending my time studying the map and trip planning. No matter what I did I could not please them. One of them would demand I sit up front with her and help her find roads, but she wouldn't let me turn a light on to see the map at night. How she expected me to see the map I still have not figured out, but she would cuss and scream and say I was "no FN good to her" because I couldn't read a map in the dark. She got us lost once and took 3 wrong turns, but still she failed ME on map reading and trip planning even though I never took a wrong turn or got us lost! The second trainer even came out of the bunk in the middle of the night one night literally crying her eyes out about how much she missed her husband and how much she wanted to have sex with him, but she was on the road with me. Both of my trainers seemed to have major mental health issues, yet I was stuck on a truck with them for 2 weeks each. My husband had a lot of frustrations with his male trainer, but nothing that rose to the level of abuse I put up with. And the student coordinator treated my complaints like it was no big deal as well, which was extremely frustrating. I was not being a baby, and I was not making it up. It was just a total nightmare from start to finish.

10. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007
    Choctaw Express or PAM Dedicated.

Choctaw will hire out of OK and TX, PAM Dedicated will pretty much hire anywhere between Cleveland, OH and El Paso, TX.

11. ConcreteAngel

ConcreteAngel Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2007
    If you run alot in the snow areas, you can always expect to chain up when driving for Interstate.. (unless they relaxed that policy)...(something to consider since winter is on it's way).. If that doesn't bother you, then you have no worries. I just don't see the point in chaining up.. ya might got traction on the drives, but nothing on the steers... and well I'm not going to stand out there putting chains on and it's a no pay thing...

As far as teams.. the company that you don't hear much about is TLI (Transco Lines, Inc. out of Russellville, AR).. They run their teams well. You get nice equipment incl. air assisted tandems. If you like to run hard, they will keep you busy. They have a website .. find it listed with their name. If you wanna pull doubles, Dot-line Express or Transportation run their teams well.

If you can't find either one.. PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.
    Good Luck!..
    ..... btw.. Interstate is a good company.. I was going to run team with them, until I found out that they require you to chain up to keep the load moving. That's ok.. I don't need to do that.

CA!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.