Good news if you drive in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SteveScott, Sep 27, 2021.

1. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    I mean, I'd rather a fire fighter or an EMT show up in those situations than a cop, so...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    To those 20% leaving....

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I heard that at one point during Powers Boothe's funeral service somebody quoted that line just like that! It is one of my favorite lines from that movie!

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  5. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    If you follow up on the story in Massachusetts, you will find out in reality only one officer actually decided to retire/quit instead of getting the vaccination. That was as of Tuesday, Sept 28, 2021.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    YES! That was an already planned retirement simply moved up! As I stated in post #50. You are not going to see any actual resignations. These Troopers are going to force the MSP to fire them. This way they maintain the right to sue! This is one of those situations we won't really see what happens until it actually happens.

Jenn72 Thanks this.
  7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    You and a couple others who have pointed that out appear to be completely missing the point of the original post and the article. Massachusetts has mandated that their state troopers either get vaccinated or be subject to termination of employment. The article points out that approximately 20% of the troopers are not planning on getting vaccinated. While only one has left so far, the article points out that at a minimum dozens of others have submitted the paperwork and plan on leaving should the mandate be enforced.

That means the state is left with a couple choices.

1) Fire the unvaccinated and decrease their workforce by up to 20% after already being severely short staffed, or
    2) Allow the unvaccinated officers to stay in the interest of public safety.

These states issuing mandates that certain segments of the workforce be vaccinated are receiving a lot of push back. New York mandated that all hospital personnel be vaccinated, and as many as 100,000 may quit over it. The NY governor just declared a state of emergency and is planning on using the national guard to help pick up the slack. Oregon has done the same as New York and thousands of medical staff are quitting their jobs there as well, my daughter included.

While many Americans may not have a problem letting the government tell them what they must inject into their bodies, there are plenty who do have a problem with it. This vaccine mandate game being played by federal and state governments is an absolute infringement on people's rights and is nothing more than playing politics. Our president has proven this by mandating that "ALL" federal employees be vaccinated, but at the same time allowing certain federal employees controlled by very powerful unions to not get the vaccine such as the postal workers. If the vaccine truly protected people or was that important for public safety, there would be no allowances made for special groups who have powerful political influence.

Truckermania and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    @SteveScott I think you and I are of like minds on this. So please don't take my comment the wrong way! I think you are placing importance on what's being billed as planned resignations, and honestly, I am not seeing this from any source other than that union rep! I don't think these Troopers are going to let the MSP off that easy! I suspect they have been in discussions with union attorneys! It's important to remember these Troopers are also making a political statement as well. All in all, this will be interesting to watch as it plays out!

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    The MSP is controlled by the executive branch in their state and must follow mandates handed down by the governor. I don't believe the attorneys will be going after the MSP, and will more than likely be suing the state similar to what is currently happening in LA county in SoCal with the firemen and police.

As far as the troopers making a political statement, I feel that it's more of a moral statement. Many are calling for the unvaccinated to go to the back of the line for medical treatment should they come down with covid and give the vaccinated priority treatment. Using that logic, how long until they feel that people who are overweight, smoke, drink, skydive, (insert your hazardous lifestyle choice here) are also put at the back of the line because of their life choices? Do we really want our government forcing us to put something in our bodies because they claim it is for our own good? Those who scream for us to "follow the science" are ignoring it when the scientific data is contrary to the narrative they want to push.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Please understand I am NOT disagreeing with you on this! I am just attempting to point out I am not expecting to see resignations. I am basing this on some other stories coming from these mandates where people went back to work and forced their employers to terminate them. In this case, because the firings are politically based the reaction will sadly also have to be political. In this highly political situation being fired gives these Troopers better standing to not only get their jobs back but also back pay! I have not read anymore on this story so my information is stale!

11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    They are importing Afghani and Mexican job applicants as we speak........just need to allocate the training money for the classes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.