Good paying local jobs in South Dakota?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Zonno, May 15, 2024.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    South Ga
    I was casually browsing some jobs on Indeed, and it seems there are plenty of good paying local jobs in SD. In fact, there seem to be very few OTR jobs. Some of the jobs listed are oilfield jobs and require experience, but a lot of them don’t require hazmat endorsement. In one listing, it even says “housing available if needed” (https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=class+a+cdl+driver&l=South+Dakota&from=searchOnHP&vjk=73a0409f84b54f74).

As someone who is not married and no children, I’d be willing to relocate somewhere if it means a good net income increase. However, I currently reside in south Ga, and awhile back I posted a thread asking about the job outlook in the state of WI, and I was warned about the brutal winters compared to where I currently live. I have a feeling it could be said that SD has even worse winters. So perhaps it wouldn’t be worth moving there, but I thought I’d ask.

PS. I have a little over a year of experience at a paving company driving a tractor-trailer dump truck, though I have several more driving tandem trucks. It’s a fantastic job for a new CDL-holder to get some experience without going OTR, and it can be good for an older driver who wants to work a few more years before retirement. It’s a fairly comfortable job, but it’s a bit low paying to want to work there all my life. I’m happy to stay there for another year (maybe two) to keeping gaining experience, but I definitely don’t plan to stay there all my life.

So what are your thoughts on relocating to SD or maybe another state in order to find a potentially better opportunity?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    South Dakota?

Never married?

No children?....

Do some homework -- & find out if there are SIGNIFICANTLY MORE women there like Gov Kristi Noem. ;) :love10: :tongue3:

THEN....with that info...you can decide if the move there is worth it -- or not. :D

-- L

Bumper, Blagoje and broke down plumber Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd recommend South Dakota, even though I haven't lived there. No state income taxes is one great benefit. Super hot Governor, but I won't mention her!
    Yeah, South Dakota, Nevada are both good for truckers.
    Nevada, no state income taxes and no food taxes at the grocery stores.

Bumper, broke down plumber and Zonno Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No OTR, just local?

Zonno Thanks this.
  7. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    South Ga
    Forgot to mention that I
    Yes. Getting sent to and getting lost in areas such as downtown NYC, DC, Detroit, Miami, etc. doesn’t sound very appealing. Not to mention the time spent waiting to get loaded/unloaded (and not getting paid) and all the various problems that OTR drivers face. An hourly job where I’m home every night (maybe a night or two in a motel) is my aptitude.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Been to those cities; only one that's a PITA was NYC. The others I can deal with. I've never worked for a company that didn't compensate for loading/unloading + stop pay + pickup pay.
    Anyway, plenty of local jobs in South Dakota and Nevada.

broke down plumber and Zonno Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.