Good Rookie Company to Use For Training...Then Quit

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VeganFoxtrot, Nov 23, 2021.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’m impressed with anyone that can translate that,
    The Asian symbol languages are just so complex looking .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Google Translate.

InTooDeep and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If you've had your CDL for less than a year, then insurance is the largest hurdle. There are only a few companies who will insure a new entrant with no experience, and they are expensive. Our first year cost $35,000 with a fairly used truck and clean driving records. One year is a pretty solid timeframe to learn the ropes and see if you really enjoy the job anyway.

Don't feel sorry for any time or effort that business owners put into hiring you. They should treat you well enough to keep you from leaving, or they should get in the seat and do the work themselves.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd wait until I had my CDL for a year to keep insurance costs lower. I wish I had a more DIY approach to fixing the truck earlier. There are plenty of shops who will overcharge and/or incorrectly repair your truck. This also helps you truly understand what you're looking for during an inspection. I wish I understood the market more before jumping into it, but it's not something that people really want to share information about. Luckily, it clicked pretty early on for me. Almost everyone is out there to take what they can from you. The industry is chock full of scams, lopsided contracts, and unethical business practices. Your business should offer a service, not to act as an opportunity for someone else to outsource their work to you. The more you specialize, the less competition you have, which means you are potentially more valuable. Tons of people want to drop and hook. Fewer people want to secure and tarp their loads. Even fewer want to get the permits, knowledge, and equipment to move oversize loads. Understand which lanes are good, and which to avoid.

5. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
    Are you the guy from Rudolph?

6. Waterman_99

Waterman_99 Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Buy a rig, make yourself an llc through legalzoom, google how to get your own authority and fuel tax stamp and all that, then start running loads for amazon. Put quickbooks on your laptop to keep track of expenses and income. Also, make sure you have a credit card to cover roadside repairs or any other unexpected expenses. Lastly, make sure you keep plenty of empty bottles in your cab so you can pee in them. Nuthin to it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  7. streetglider

streetglider Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Plenty of new hire fleece company’s out there. Jump in with them and if you can survive you just might make it as a o/o

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.