Google Maps traffic rerouting question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by joseph1853, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I'll have to disagree with you on that. I've done plenty of 2 lane windy roads that were truck routes. The western state, NY, VT, PA, ME, all have those roads and the only way you're getting there is by taking that narrow looking road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I had a delivery in Pawtucket RI one time and couldn't get to it for all the truck restricted roads. After riding in circles for a hour I found a cop and asked him. He asked me in that stupid accent of theirs if they sold GPS's where I was from. The next week I didn't buy a better GPS, I bought my own truck and never ever went back.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I use Google for only 2 things. I can see what the traffic is like ahead, and I can see what an unfamiliar delivery location looks like before I go there.

Having said that, about 3 weeks ago I was leaving Seattle heading south on the I-5. I heard on the radio that all southbound lanes were closed about 20 miles ahead of me due to a big rig accident. Since my RM doesn't show slowing traffic ahead or alternative routes around something like this, I turned on Google maps and could clearly see that the traffic stopped 5 miles ahead of me and continued that way for about 15 miles. Google suggested a by-pass and wanted me to take the very next exit. I did a quick look with satellite view, and didn't see anything that looked restricted so I went for it. Google put me on a 2 lane country road that was plenty big enough for my rig, and I came out on the other side of the accident 30 minutes later. It saved me hours of sitting and I would have missed my next pickup had I not done that.

Google is by no means safe for truckers to use for general routing. But in certain cases it makes a great tool to avoid situations like this. I also use it for routing around city traffic when it's close to rush hour.

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  5. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Right, thats pretty much what I've experienced with the different set ups also. I'm kind of a computer geek and into all the latest gadgets and technology. There's nothing that beats google maps for traffic that I've seen and I've looked everywhere. I used to use copilot on a laptop and it was decent for routing but like other's have stated it's lacking in the traffic arena. So far I've found the best you'll get out of the maping devices is running a Garmin truck gps and the google maps at the same time on two different devices going at the same time. Although if they included the speed limit notices on the google maps you wouldn't really need the Garmin.

6. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    of course. the amount of possible traffic in between dallas and waco at any given area is all over the place. google maps (gps) will alert you of actual current traffic conditions.

7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    What drives me crazy with google maps is it wants to put me on the ferry across Lake Michigan from mid Michigan to upper Wisconsin

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  8. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I agree.

9. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    lol right. There's actually a setting for that under avoid ferries lol.. No really I'm serious. it will also allow you to set it to avoid highways and so on.

10. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    running around austin, houston, san antonio, dallas, new orleans etc that part of google maps is a absolute must. i really don't know how old timers can justify not using it.. i guess that's good for us who know better less traffic going around them lol.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  11. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    have you ever used one? that is a garmin that has the current speed limit on its screen and also the speed limit changes coming up? just curious.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.