Gordon Trucking

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by bobbyw, Nov 11, 2006.

1. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    Any one have any good news or bad news about Gordon out of Pacific Washington as it looks like I am going to go NorthWest to Portland after graduation :brilsmurf:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Idahogreyeagle

Idahogreyeagle Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2006
    bobbyw-

I last worked for Gordon in 1998-9. The are a fair company, just don't hide anything on your app...
    Some of the dm's will try to push ya, but thier safety dep't is top notch...
    As with most companies, use their chain of command, over the qualcom, it gets FAST reconciliation....

4. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    I ve heard a few pieces of info about Gordon ,so far its all been good ,I definitely have them down as my front runner and am waiting to see what they thought of my application

5. rickn

rickn Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I agree that Gordon takes safety very seriously. Some of their Dm do try to push you. Don't read into it thinking its ok, since your Dm leads you to believeing it is. Just don't do it. Logs and safety will catch it.

6. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    safety first sounds like the way to go 2 log books sound like a pain

7. bobbyw

bobbyw Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Orlando Florida
    well fellas thanks for all your info on gordon but i wont be going with them after all ,at least not now cause i got a message today that my application was denied what a shocker recruiter said it was due to my driving record which is no tickets since 04 i had 2 speeding tickets in 04 1 was 15 over and i went to traffic school and only have 3 pts i had a careless driving over 5 years ago no dui s and no felonies is it true they are more stricter with there hiring then most i hope this isnt going to happen again

8. SeahawkFan

SeahawkFan Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2007
    No matter any of GTI's other issues positive or negitive, the one area they will not compamise on is safety. If you drive for them you MUST run legal. If you get caught cheating, they will fire you almost on the spot. There safety director does not pull punches. :smt023
    They have a good safety rating and low insurance cost b/c of this very reason.

9. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    As a newbie they want you to start out with as clean a record as possible. The minimum requirements are guidelines. When they look at you they see a guy with a lead foot and a distaine for driving safely. Not one to be trusted with high dollars driving down the road. 2 speeding tickets one excessive and a reckless? Even some veteran drivers who have proven skills driving T/T would get turned away from some carriers with that record. Insurance is expensive for trucking companies. It's the second highest cost behind fuel. Why would you think they want to spend even more if they don't need to. You might have to start out at a meat grinder to start your career. Good luck

10. kona911

kona911 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redding, CA

Not true. You must run legal after they catch you messing around with the books. You can have some fun UNTIL you get caught. The only log violation got was putting the wrong date on my hometime entry. While I didn't screw around to much, I did do some fancy work when I really needed too, especially trying to get out of LA and make it to wheeler ridge quite often or running from Albany,OR to Boise and Back to burns under 14 hrs :biggrin_25523:

11. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Since I drive up and down I-5 alot I see many GTI trucks. Clean and well maintained all, but every last one of them was driving more then 5mph over the speed limit. If this company is so gung ho on safety as many have claimed, then why are these driver breaking the law routinely and not getting the ax by GTI ? Do they not have enough time on their loads to make it driving the speed limit? I doubt it.

Why would anyone but a newbie want to have their logs scrutinized all the time so that they have to drive like a bat out of hell in between stops that can be matched with logs.

Maybe they don't scrutinizing the logs as well as you think if they have drivers logging 55 when they are driving 65. I bet GTI drivers doctor their logs between the scale houses and fuel stops like everyone else does on the west coast.

Has anyone ever logged to the letter of the law on I-5 and seen the result? I have, and unless you are doing drop and hook, stay out of any big city and drive mostly at night, you will take a big hit in pay and be branded a slacker by even GTI. I don't know to many larger carriers that are not safety conscious these days but they all still try to get that load there on time at the expense of the driver. If the safety program was any different at GTI then why would a DM even be trying to push anyone? They would be in fear of losing their job, right? Most of these outfits talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk.They would be paying drivers by the hour and not the mile (the technology is available) and show the door to any dispatcher that pushed any driver or any driver that routinely broke the law in the state they were traveling in if safety was anything more then it is at most companies trying to keep insurance cost down. GTI keep their rating and and rates lower I suspect by hiring drivers with clean records and or no wheel time and axing anyone who creates a risk to their safety rating by having a accident no matter whose fault it is.

By the way my ex girlfriend was a C/S rep and dispatcher at GTI in Pacific Wa. And I can tell you that they play the same games as most other carriers with their drivers, and have about the same low opinion about truck drivers in general as the office people at other carriers do.

I used to tout the company line but now I drive for myself and don't buy into the propaganda and the twofacedness of OTR carriers. Driving a 70+ foot truck will never be safe no matter how many pamphlets and computer courses are handed to you. You can read and take them all and drive like grandpa Jones and get yard hostlers to back all your trailers, but the first time you have a incident or accident regardless of fault you will become a liability to your carrier and your loyalty will mean zip. Happy trucking!

spunkymonkey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.