got a call from maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by bowtie, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Then you can't deduct your per diem at the end of the year, correct?

To me this is sounding like they are using your money to pay you? Maybe I'm misunderstanding it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sarge26044

sarge26044 Road Train Member

May 24, 2009
    Louisville, ky
    then you couldn't deduct your per diem at the end of the year, correct. because you've already been paid your per diem. they tax your gross income after your per diem is taken out so your per diem isn't taxed, then add your per diem back onto your check. that's how i understand it. that way you get 100 of your per diem rather than whatever % of it the IRS gives back to you after you claim it yourself.

4. THD

THD Light Load Member

May 2, 2010
    Granit Falls, NC
    Way too confusing, LOL

5. sewerman

sewerman Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana
    yes that it.

6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    The company im with charges two cents per mile for the per diem, and they make us take it. Don"t take the per diem.

7. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    It is not a scam at Maverick. I took it.

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    It is not a scam, but it benefits the company more than the driver.

9. andrew5184

andrew5184 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Sapulpa, OK
    It may benefit the company more, but it sounds like it would really benefit drivers, too. I need to research it more, but anytime you can lower your "taxable income" and reduce the amount of money that is subject to withholding, it's a good thing.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Just remember when you lower the income you earn and get hurt on a job, workmen's comp is based on the reduced income. So are disability earnings you receive from the government.

When you take the per diem as an itemized deduction, you may benefit more with other deductible items that you may not normally exceed the standard deduction with.

In addition, the per diem taken as a driver maximizes any other out of pocket charges incurred by the driver such as showers and truck supplies.

I am not saying it is good all of the time.

But the company gets a reduced amount to pay into the FICA, Medicare taxes through this plan.

11. andrew5184

andrew5184 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Sapulpa, OK
    Good point on the disability earnings aspect of this. And yes, the company is saving the 7.65% they'd pay for FICA & Medicare (which doesn't bother me).

It sounds then like it's not a "one size fits all" type issue. For some guys, it is a benefit, while others should take the deduction on their taxes. It's nice that Maverick gives drivers a choice in the matter, rather than forcing the issue like some companies do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.