Got a ticket at a rest stop in Cumby, Tx.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Snow Hater, Oct 10, 2023.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It's been a long time since I've been to Sulphur springs, but in my mind it's "be parked by 1600 or you're not getting a spot".

kemosabi49, kylefitzy and Opus Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Problem nowadays is no one like to accept responsibility..it’s always someone else’s fault… simply put, you will have to adjust where you’re going to stop for the day more times than not because you will have delays here and there that will disrupt your day… If one cannot plan, adequately enough to have several locations mapped out that they could hit to park at instead of just one location, regardless of whatever happens is pretty pathetic…

4. broke down plumber

broke down plumber Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2024
    So i have a question , your clock runs out at the dock , they say no parking on premises. You can drive on personal time to find a parking spot ? How does that work ? I understand why alot of rules are in place , no more west coast turn arounds ect . Sure seems that some of it is setup for revenue though.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    1. Before my clock runs out, I tell them I'm low on hours and one way or another, I'm gonna be gone by"X".
    2. Depends on your company. But, that said, if you have another work assignment in the que, technically that's advancing to your next load.
    3. If you run out of hours, you and the truck won't explode......you'll just be in trouble if you get stopped.....and really not that much.

broke down plumber Thanks this.
  6. broke down plumber

Jan 25, 2024
    I appreciate the answer but i thought being behind the wheel after hrs was a BIG no no . I need to read up more on this . Off to the fmcsa website . Thx

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    FMCSA "Guidance" on Personal Conveyance says if you run out of hours at a shipper/consignee, you can use the PC to go to the nearest safe parking spot. That does mean the nearest even if it isn't in the direction you need to go. That being said, because Personal Conveyance has never been officially made a written part of the regs, you may get a DOT cop that wants to be a richard that will give you a violation.

Grumppy and broke down plumber Thank this.
  8. broke down plumber

Jan 25, 2024
    So you have 45 min left , shipper says it'll be 90 min . I can by my right to not be in possible violation , crank her up tell them c ya when my clock says i can make it back ? Shipper gonna be pissed ? Office gonna b pissed ? B.D.P. Gonna be pissed ? Nope lol.

9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    A few weeks ago I was assigned to pick up a relay and deliver into a grocery warehouse that has an average dwell time of 3 hours. I could get there by 1530, appointment was for 1630, my 14 ended at 1930, closest free parking is an hour away, closest paid parking is 20 minutes away.

I call in asking "is the planner on crack or just suffering from a head wound?"

Ops #1 tells me to try, and agrees to reimburse the parking if needed. I check in at 1530, park in staging, and wait. 1620 a bunch of trucks head to the docks. 1640 I try and ask the guard, who tells me "receiving will text me with the dock when they're ready." I call Ops, Ops #2 tries calling the customer, then tells me to "use your judgment". I immediately head for the exit gate and get some gruff from the guard, and I explain that I'm now down to 2.5 hours and I'm willing to put it in a dock right now, but if they don't have a door available then I won't be unloaded before my clock expires so I'm leaving. The guard now miraculously has the ability to call receiving. After hanging up the phone, the guard opens the gate and I take the load back to the yard.

First thing in the morning I call in and get Ops #1 again who gets cranky with me about "not giving them 2 hours, we have to give them 2 hours". At which point I asked to conference in Safety Critter Six. In the silence that followed I said we could set up a meeting with Ops #1, Ops Manager, CSR, APM, and Safety Critter Six where we could do a full after action conference on all the fail points on this load if she'd rather, and talk about who followed company policies and who didn't.

My first year I went in to deliver a load to Bay Valley Foods in Rochelle, IL. I thought I had a 1700 appointment, turns out I had a 1900 appointment and they were running behind. After a few phone calls to after hours Ops I got "permission to overnight on the property", and I verbably confirmed it with the clerk. So I waited, got unloaded, snuck into a parking spot and went to bed about 2200. 2330 security was knocking on my door telling me to leave the property. I said "but I have permission". Security said "I didn't give you permission and I'm the only one here, so leave or get arrested for trespass". So I left, with my AOBR screaming at me. Luckily I found a repair yard that I could squeeze into before an actual "violation" was recorded. Ever since then, I won't put myself to get left holding the bag for someone else's profit. If I can't get to S/L parking, I don't even go in.

Other people's poor planning isn't your problem.

10. broke down plumber

Jan 25, 2024
    I can see im gonna need to up my acronym game .

Numb Thanks this.
  11. Assured

Assured Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Seems to me that the proper [on-record] response to a "violation" over a search for parking somewhere other than wherever is "nearest" (which merely coincides with the intended route) should be to ask how much time the officer [who issued the violation] spends at over-capacity rest areas directing trucks to designated overflow lots. (particularly if either the nearby safe locations would have likely been full or if the driver was/is unfamiliar with the area or does not know ahead of time what the parking policies are at said locations)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.