Got a ticket in a truck in Indy

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by prosidius, Mar 6, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    How the heck do you not know where your insurance and registration is?? That's the part I don't get.

Here's the first page of my truck book. Might give you some inspiration.

20210306_172535.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    When I drove ALL of my tractors legals were inside my permit book and IT ALWAYS was inside the driver's door. Every time I was in a terminal I took said permit book inside to the permit office and made dang sure all my permits were up to date. Sorry, there is NO excuse for having missing or expired legals.

GYPSY65, DoubleO7, Roberts450 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. prosidius

prosidius Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Was driving someone’s truck which I never drove before, so didn’t know where it was kept. Should I have made sure I knew where it was as part of my pretrip? Yes, and I messed up there. For the record, yes the permits, registration, etc was all in a binder tucked behind a seat. I was expecting it to be in one of the door cubbies, or in one of the storage areas above the windshield.

I got too complacent and it finally bit me.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No excuse.

GYPSY65, TripleSix and Roberts450 Thank this.
  6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If indy is anything like jersey with the hammer lane restrictions it's best obey or your getting yanked.

7. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Law aside, that's where the four wheelers get to haul ###. It's not the lane truckers get into just because they're impatient. No different than the steering wheel holder that whips into the fast lane on a hill to pass the guy in the slow lane by a whopping 0.0005mph, and then we all have to do 40 because of some prick. Plain and simple, OP was doing ten over in that lane because he didn't want to get "stuck behind a semi".

OP, while you're owning up to your mistake, why don't you just eat all four tickets? You deserved every one of them.

/rant. Apologies, drivers.

GYPSY65, DoubleO7, tommymonza and 2 others Thank this.
  8. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    You really don't loose to much time slowing down 10 mph for a half hour through a city on an eleven hour day.
    Having a clean license and no wrecks is my freedom to say I quit and have a new job on Monday.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Very few police officers are going to write a ticket in a few seconds after asking for your legals. If you were driving a class 8 CMV those legals should have been in the driver's door. If that officer returned to the car to write it means you had ample time to retrieve the documents asked for. I'm confused why you would be driving a CMV and not have those legals in the door where they BELONG? I might also add you may have problems getting those two tickets tossed. I am not 100% sure about Indiana, but some states have laws on the books that make it a crime to NOT have the documents when asked for REGARDLESS of if you have them or not. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but honestly, you need to get your mind on doing this job properly because this job does not suffer fools or foolish behavior for very long!

10. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i run the south side of 465 every morning between 530-630 am. EVERY day i come through there i see a truck pulled over. traffic gets tangled up on the westbound side with the left hand entrance ramps from 31 & 65. as painful as it may be, i back it down and ride the right lane through there.

at minimum, 10 over in the hammer lane would cost my job. i say you're lucky.

contact a traffic lawyer and hope for the best.

Midwest Trucker and nredfor88 Thank this.
  11. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Nothing you can't cure with buying a new "clean" MC, amirite? ;)

tommymonza Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.