Got Fired Due To Accident, Who Can Help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fred c, Mar 18, 2008.

1. fred c

fred c Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2008
    harrisburg, pa
    HI
    Was in traing and had i week left till I got my own truck. was in texas and had to stop quick due to the cars in front of me came to a quick stop and I was rear ended by another tractor trailer and pushed me into a suv. so the company left me go because it was in their handbook if you have a accident within 1 year working for them that you would be fired.
    DOES ANYBODAY KNOW OF A COMPANY THAT WILL HIRE ME? OR SOMEONE TO HELP IN THIS KINDA OF CASE??? IAM SURE THEIR ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PEOPLE INTHE SAME BOAT!
    THANKS
    FC

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Do you have 3 months experience and school certificate? Try Celadon, not sure how they will view it, but if the below fits you give it a try

Company Driver Requirements

Must be 22 years of age
    Must have one year of verifiable tractor / trailer experience in the past three years, or completed a certified training school and three months of verifiable tractor / trailer experience immediately following completion of school.
    Good Driving record
    Must hold a valid Class A license issued by the applicant’s state of residence.
    Limited Accidents and Tickets
    No DUI, DWI, Careless or Reckless Driving or Chemical Refusal Convictions in past 5 years
    No Felonies within 10 years

4. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Companies doing this is the main reason newbies need to get a grant for training or make sure they get it cheap if they have to pay for it out of their own pockets.

Pay 5,000 for training this month knowing I could be fired next month at the drop of a hat? No thanks. #### happens sometimes that you can't help.

Go CHEAP. Better yet, go FREE.

Wargames Thanks this.
  5. Hitman

Hitman Mr. Gamer

Sep 5, 2006
    Tioga, PA
    So is this standard policy for all companies?

6. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I've never heard of anyone being fired for a non preventable accident regardless of their length of employment.

My BS detector is going off.

If this guy was truly rear-ended and that's what caused him to rear-end the SUV, there's no way he would have been fired.

dgarrett0008 and chicadriver Thank this.
  7. semi-nutz

semi-nutz Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2008
    bottom left coast
    I agee with scarecrow, though the handbook may be written with ambiguous outs for the company, the rearmost vehicle is usually at fault unless it is determined you were complicit. The company may have the option to terminate, but without grounds they open themselves to litigation. Then they have the handbook to fall back on in their defense. You may want to seek council to keep your DAC clean if indeed you are not complicit. IMHO. good luck.

8. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't think it's the accident that thay are lookin at, I believe it's the fact that he was still in training and maybe did'nt heed all the warnings about following too close or adjusting speed for the traffic conditions. This is just my own thoughts on the matter. I would be a little concerned that they put this on my DAC report espically if were'nt my fault. That DAC report alone would keep you from being gainfully employed. I would chek and see what they put on there and then do everything in my power to seek employment elsewhere., espically if it has'nt been posted yet. I hope this gives you some idea where to go from here... Good Luck!

9. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    I know Roehl probaly would fire sombody for that.. Thats what I have heard about them at least..

Anyways, If you are telling the truth then you would need a copy of the accident report.. If the cop wrote down that you was pushed into the vehicle in front of you then you probaly will be able to get hired.. If they didnt write that down your going to have a hard time finding employment..

10. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Hmmmmmmm
    I'm thinkin', unless a Big truck is right on the bumper of the vehicle in front, it would take a pretty hard 'push' from behind to cause an impact with the vehicle in front. Surely it would cause a LOT of damage to the trailer, and possibly the cargo therein.

Sounds more like not paying close enough attention to the traffic conditions ahead. The Smith System says "Aim High".

Without more details, it's hard to say.
    And I don't recall it being mentioned whether or not, in fact, it was a non-preventable 'accident', or not.

Then again, it could be the insurance company calling the shots, rather than the trucking company.

Bottom line though is, SAFETY is NO accident. I reckon that's why they say "It's better to be SAFE than SORRY." :yes2557:

11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I'm with Aftershock on this one... I'd say 'fred c' didn't leave enough clear space in front of him. Sorry fred... but I'd have fired you too.

If I'm in heavy traffic that's stop and go, I'll leave a mile in front of me. Let the fourwheelers and supertruckers go around you and play smash-up derby if they want. I don't "play the accordian"... I do what I call the Chicago Crawl... that is, leave it in third or fourth gear and just let it idle until the traffic is well ahead of me. Then slowly speed up and let the traffic meter around me while I leave an 1/8 to 1/4 mile of space between me and the vehicle directly ahead of me. I used to do rush hour in Chicago every day in a big truck... and very rarely ever touched my brake pedal. And as a side benefit, your blood pressure stays down when you're not chomping at the bit and stabbing your brake pedal every ten feet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.