Got my CDL A. Auto or manual truck Jobs?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by srekcurt9291, Sep 23, 2019.

1. srekcurt9291

srekcurt9291 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2018
    Got my CDL A without restrictions few weeks ago. Now i am on job hunting. Is it wise to go for company with automatic trucks
    Or i will turn them down?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    It's whatever job fits your needs as far as money, home time, benefits, etc. Don't let a truck judge that unless you prefer one or the other, they will both get the job done.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I will die with a manual in my hand. You can stop the earth with one of those long enough to get out of a cliff without falling. Thats off roading a big truck like a cement mixer on a couple inches of shale rock or slate as they call it back east; Slippery.

A good auto that is tuned to the engine and shifts when I want to shift is perfect. Anything else on that auto from that to today is engineering fantasys bolted on. For example using a satellite to shift down for a hill that is supposed to be "Here" to save money on fuel. (Ya right....) or god only knows what else. I have yet to meet a auto that did not turn a tractor into a bounce house trying to dock a load. Thats why I got good at one move backing. Once moving back with clutch all the way out she aint stopping or slowing until in. Otherwise you bounce bounce bounce.

The early auto is hard to argue with when you consider we did not touch the clutch, touch the tires, brake pads or engine related issues for around 210,000 miles from 15 or so on the ODO in 10 months as a Team truck. What the auto did do against the manual (In a sec) is brick. Or fail. Needing a tow. The manual says that the auto needed to be shut off with dead truck for minimum of 30 minutes to dump it's computer buffer. Otherwise it bricks with a sort of a blue screen of death familiar to windows users. Dispatchers were ordered to allow us 12 hours or a day every 7th or every time we run out the 70 hours each on the 6th day so that truck will sit off while we lay around a hotel getting waited on and resting. The other things it needed was a alternator every 3 months as we had a inverter in it installed by freightliner. It did good but electrically was a problem. We usually got new suit of all 10 tires about this time of the year prior to winter which is already knocking on our western passes before long.

As long your auto has a manual where you can push that M button and stay in gear all the way downgrade to the bottom and shift only under your decision to shift you will be fine. It's real nice to have it working for you on the crossbronx. Just kick back and stay slower than the traffic. No work needed to shift etc.

However. Thats where i draw the line. You will either have a good tractor trailer able to run the speed limit anywhere in the USA and Canada and me in it or you will have to buy a robot. Because todays vehicles are getting excessive with technology. Beeping at you for everything, forward radars slamming brakes you should have been on a block ago etc. (On ice that trailer or tractor is coming around and there you are. possibly dead...) I prefer to push back with much older vehicles that hardly has anything in it.

srekcurt9291 and Hillbilly hauler Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go for the pay, benefits, freight lanes you like.
    Do you live in Hawaii? If so, didn't the school give you job leads in Hawaii?
    Do you have a Hawaii CDL?
    Where are you located now?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    srekcurt9291, FlaSwampRat and starmac Thank this.
  6. Hillbilly hauler

Hillbilly hauler Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2017
    My opinion is manual is far better but you have to consider that almost all companies are now going to automatics... I think the most important thing is that you get good pay good benefits and run the area that you want to run in that is what you need to be looking at

7. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Unless your going to lease,you really have no choice.
    They can give you a stick and a month later, get rid
    Of it and give you a automatic.
    Then what. Look for another job.

srekcurt9291 Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would never turn down a good paying job due to what transmission the truck. Focus on the job, not the truck.

srekcurt9291 Thanks this.
  9. srekcurt9291

srekcurt9291 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2018
    Yes im living in hawaii. I had this company interview this morning and they mostly have B trucks. They told me i wouldnt be able to drive those A trucks in regular because they dont need it that much. Plus i have to wait a year before they would let me. And chances driving it is only once in two weeks.
    I would really wanted to drive tractor trailers..
    The school i went didnt give me lead to Jobs.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.