got off on the wrong foot

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tarheel, Dec 5, 2007.

1. BubbaTrucker

BubbaTrucker "Iam Hanging in there"

Nov 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    roaming... great advise ... the jumping has to stop or try and stop.. find a good half decent company to work for before you have trouble getting into any company. everyone is here to help ya out if you need to find out where some good companies are out there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sjtrucker

sjtrucker Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Hayward WI
    Not to sound like an a@# hole but if you were fired from your first job because of motorist complaints I think shifting gears is the least of your concerns,,sorry:biggrin_2556:

4. Mtn.Momma

Mtn.Momma Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Northwest USA
    You have to take the bad with the good.
    And in Trucking, you'll find both, no matter where you find yourself. Then soon, you'll decide which things you can live with and what you cant.
    But for now, you need to stay with ONE.

It costs a company several thousand dollars to train you, and I think you might even be in for more training with some of the larger companies, because you haven't stayed at a trucking job at least one year.
    So I'd have to say, stay put. And at this point, don't be picky.

We all had to start somewhere...and soon, you'll have paid your dues. :yes2557:

Also, don't take things too personal...that might save you alot of stress. Everyday is different. Todays troubles will be gone tomorrow. (Just learn from them all.)

5. jimnfor

jimnfor Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    sherman, tx
    to answer one of your original questions. PTL is a good starter company. The autoshift trucks are nice and you will get spoiled not shifting, but you may stay there for a while and SO WHAT! The miles are probably average for what the other BIG companies out their are running, anywhere from 2k to 3k a week. Remember this time of year it has slowed down just a bit.
    I know this about PTL because i drove for them for almost a year. Anymore questions, let me know

6. NealinNevada

NealinNevada Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One Horse Town, Nevada
    Three things jump out at me and others have commented on:

1) Motorists complaints...This has got to stop! Whatever you were doing or not doing to cause motorists to contact CFI about your driving has got to stop or your career as a truck driver is going to end quickly. Be honest with yourself, what is/are the cause (or causes) of their complaints? Do whatever you need to do to stop complaints against you and vow that there will never be another...in fact, I'd go out of my way to regularly help a few motorists so that they contact your new company saying "you went beyond the call of duty". It takes a little time out of your day/night, but all companies LOVE to have a driver commended by the public. I have been offered money for helping people and I always refuse, BUT I tell them feel free to contact my company about this...I'm not too proud to suggest that.

2) Job Stability...You must stay at your next job for at least a year. No company I know of cares about previous career longevity. They care about truck driving job longevity. As an example, I drove long haul for 6 years then changed careers (teaching) and worked for the same employer for 20 years. I just got back into trucking again after retiring from the teaching job. The company I drive for wanted the info on my driving career first...they were happy that I drove for the same company for 6 years and the teaching job just verified that once I go to work for you, I stay.

3) Cold Feet...I would suggest that you NOT take this job with your current attitude. It seems like you are giving yourself a reason to quit BEFORE you even start. Find a company that you like and wants you to work for them and then sign-on with a vow NOT to quit under any conditions for at least a year. The company I first started with was awful (awful pay, awful truck, awful dispatcher, etc) but I stuck it out and now I can drive for anyone at anytime on MY conditions (good pay, nice truck, nice people to work for, two nights a week :toothy7:). You'll have the same opportunities to be picky once you pay your dues...and sticking with a driving job will go a long way toward showing you have paid your dues.

In summary, what you want in a year from now is a company, when contacted by a potential truck driving employer, that says "Man, this guy is safe, courteous on the road, and never missed a shift in the past year...we would love to keep him...hate to see him go". Then all the earlier, bad driving and job quitting will not matter at all. You will be the master of your own destiny then...if you do the right things now. Good luck to you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.