GPS for your truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by natanishe, Feb 10, 2015.

1. natanishe

natanishe Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    You never know who you are hiring, and it's would be smart to protect your investments. Everyone keeps telling me here you would not work for me, I am not here to hire anyone. There are plenty of drivers who would work for me. My questions is fairly simple, which system would be recommended.

Broccelli Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. natanishe

natanishe Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Thank you for your advice, I'll look into them.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Peoplenet makes a tracking device you can install in the trucks. You can track your equipment along with giving other information on the equipment. Peoplenet can help with IFTA and elogs, too. In fact, I believe they actually sell their equipment as an elog system. It has been some time since I looked at their system. Once you purchase the equipment there is a monthly fee. Rand McNally has a gps unit that will also do elogs and IFTA. I don't know if it will give any other information on the equipment, such as mpg, etc., There are others on the market with a wide range of prices. I assume you will run under your own authority. If you lease your trucks to a carrier, some offer that type of equipment you can install in your trucks. You might check with some of the larger fleets to see what they are using. Some of these gps units can get expensive.

natanishe Thanks this.
  5. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I like what Snowwy and Crappie are telling you, Natanishe. If it's your truck, of course you want information. I don't even see an objection on any of that. One thing I'd like to share: when you're in the hiring interview, put all of your cards on the table, and ask for the same from the applicant. The drivers who object to your secrecy idea are right to object, that's bush. If you hire a "scum" driver, that's on you. Call references, talk to former companies, check DMV and CSA, do some work. If you just hire a driver offhand, you'll deserve what you get. What about hiring a recent grad and training them yourself? That driver thing is a big issue, you're right on that, N, but no tricks.

natanishe Thanks this.
  6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    electronic logbook takes care of the issues you have. If drivers doing there job why would they care about the owner knowing where it happens to be

7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Peoplenet is one service.

I just give drivers a cell phone. Then I track the phone with Verizon Family Locator service. I don't have to bother him and he doesn't use his personal minutes. Only stipulation I have is the phone must stay on all the time. Nobody has complained yet.

natanishe Thanks this.
  8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    THIS is what I meant (along with the underhanded methodology) Natanishe, it's not that we're unwilling to answer or help you, its not that we havent, but you're proving that you simply do not have the background knowledge in trucking to SUCCESSFULLY put a truck on the road with a good driver that will be happy with the pay

9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Nextel had a phone you could track at one time. I have used cell phones for drivers, too.

rank Thanks this.
  10. freda455

freda455 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2015
    awesome,,, gps is fine but when the boss is calling constantly asking why your turning here or there or whatever is annoying.... anyone know how to disable it? or find it? I know you think im cheating but its by husband and son who just started working for this jerk and he is constantly bothering and badgering them, obviously has a tracking device, 2012 Pete 367. The owner needs to be out of business and this is the last haul they make for this guy. thanks to anyone. Julie

11. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    Let me get this straight, the boss is watching every turn your husb and son make and calls them out on it.... and you want to disable/turn off the tracking.... don't you think the boss would notice that in a heartbeat? Either accept the tracking or don't work for the guy. Tinkering around with the boss's equipment is not a wise move.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.