GPS with Truck Routes

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by new bee, Mar 4, 2007.

1. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    I just got my 465T a week ago and really like the features. I sold my 200w to a family member for $150. Is the 465T worth the money? Yes, if you don't have a GPS, if you already have a recent Garmin product, I wouldn't jump on it right away.
    I like the life time traffic subscription, I touch the truck icon on the map screen and get a traffic map with a delay estimate in min's on the screen. I like the restricted truck routes, sharp curve and low clearance warnings.
    You can turn on tracking and it will leave a blue (bread crumb) trail of where you have been. I sure could have used it when I was getting lost in the middle of the night in the oilfields of West Texas! It also has maps for Canada and Alaska that my 200W didn't.

DISLIKES:
    I have a wierd glitch on mine that I will be calling Garmin about if it persists. What happens is, I enter a route, then if I deviate from it for a TS or rest stop, the GPS reboots. It has done it once a day (even though I have detoured more than that) except for yesterday. There was a long hold time for Garmin tech support, so I'll have to wait until I have more time. Does not come with a suction cup mount anymore, so you have to buy one of those donut things and attach the provided mount to it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I can confirm that the rebooting glitch is a design flaw in all units. Mine will freak out and reboot itself up to 6 times in a row. Yesterday it rebooted and started sounding like a chipmunk being strangled at max volume. It does it when it is not navigating too.

4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Rebooting bug: Yes, we have seen this too.

Canada: be careful. It has Canada maps but no truck routing in Canada yet. Those will be car routes it gives you there.

5. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    I contacted Garmin about this issue, apparently I did not register it correctly, so I did that when I got back home. I then checked for updates (none) and then reloaded the software per Andrew in tech support. I just tested in my personal vehicle (using the truck selection) twice now. I would route it to my home as I was driving away on a deliberately illogical route. So far no problem in two days. I'll will do more testing when I get back on the truck.

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Wanna cut corners and stay safe? Use your atlas. Most companies are providing them for free to new drivers, and Ol' Rand McNally ain't never let me down. Having a GPS, either laptop or dashmount, can be handy. But ya gotta know how to read a map first to really get the full value from a GPS.

7. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Atlas only gets you into the area, local stuff isn't shown. I need more details than an atlas has.

8. johnrm

johnrm Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2009
    San Jose, CA.
    I think that the vehicle icon setting does nothing but change the icon that shows your position on the map! In other words, the icon can be changed from a car to a truck, but the routing will still be the same.

9. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Yup. Mine is a skeletal hand pointing a bony finger in my direction of travel.

10. srick773

srick773 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
  11. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Here is the link to their press release. There are none available for testing yet, but I'll post up once we give it the run-through.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.