Graduated and Got My CDL!! Now What????

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by danny04, Mar 17, 2014.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    My last post was aimed at bladerunner... To the OP, do you have any experience at all?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
  4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I can certainly see what you mean after reading your post. That would make anybody question a career in driving. I guess I have a biased opinion on why anyone would want to drive truck for a living. Truth be told, this occupation has been very, very good to me.

5. Ice Train

Ice Train Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harkers Island NC
    I second that! All communications in the army but always wanted to drive, now here I am with virtually no real complaints. I worked with central refrigerated for quite a long while and up until swift bought them six months ago it was a great company but I can't say the same now. Just my honest opinion.

6. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I would recommend Schneider over in Fontanna. That is one of the best terminals We have, IMO, and they take their training very seriously. You would also have the option of later going to intermodal after you gain some experience, if you didnt like the OTR. We have a Yard in Tempe, Temple? just NE of LA

7. Ford L8000

Ford L8000 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    If local truck driving is what you have your heart set on, you should be going to LTL terminals, parcel companies like OnTrac, etc. Even if they don't hire you to drive, maybe they will hire you on the dock which could lead to a local driving positions. If you do decide that local is what you want to pursue, go to the company terminal in person, that way you can "sell" yourself to that company in person. It's pretty hard to present yourself properly to an employer over the phone. If you don't get hired on by a local company, you can still go the OTR route, at least if you try to get a local job and don't succeed, you can still say you tried.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.