Graduated to a new forum

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MericanMade, Jan 27, 2020.

1. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Armellini is all team drivers I presume from their website. Windy Hill is too far away; they don't hire out of the panhandle. However, Service Transport is still hiring new drivers out of my area. I'm going to call the terminal manager in a little while.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Its like pulling teeth because its hard to give a good answer. Every week is different and people run differently.

One week you will earn a killer check and the next week might be at poverty level.

One important skill for drivers to have running off mile pay is to have good money management. The guys that I run with that are not able to manage have the hardest time.

They earn a 3000 gross check then next week they are crying over a 1000 check. You would never know they just averaged 2000 per week for those two weeks because they spent all their money before their second check showed up.

MericanMade Thanks this.
  4. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I got temporarily excited about a Werner Dollar Tree dedicated account because I've been chatting with a Werner dedicated driver who parks up a few miles down the road. He's home several times a week because he runs in between Marianna, FL, and out to Louisiana on a weekly basis. He said he made more money than the OTR drivers, too. He was hired out of TDI, too.

When I talked to the Werner recruiter, all they had was Bessemer, AL, 1400 mile per week run, $0.50/mile, $55 per trailer unloaded. $700/week manually unloading a 53' van full of Tide detergent and sardines. Sounds good.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I think it's time to quit calling the megas.

6. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Yeah, just working my way down the list. :) I got down to the W's finally. Called Wiley Sanders, too. Are they a mega? I saw their trucks practically every day leaving the industrial park across the street from TDI in Milton, FL.

Anyway, I talked to the recruiter at length twice today, just to make sure I was understanding the mileage rate and the per diem. No show stoppers for me, and that per diem is ah ver nice (think Monte Python French accent). Kind of a long training period of 10 weeks, compared to 17 days for Schneider.

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I'm not trying to thread jack, but curious if anyone knows for sure if Swift does hire FL graduates. I honestly picked them as a potential. Because they have terminals in Winter Haven, FL and OKC, OK. That would allow me the option to change my home terminal from FL to OK when I am ready to move. But might be foolishly assuming too much on my part. Also any thoughts on the CDL school that operates out of the FL State Fair Grounds?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think Swift has a reefer division in Ocala or somewhere in central Florida. So, they do hire in Florida.
    Swift Refrigerated - New Trainee Pay Package
    https://driveswiftreefer.com

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Freymiller might be better for you since they hire in Florida and are headquartered in Oklahoma City.
    Click on this website and then click on "Recent Graduates."
    Drive Freymiller | Best Paying Trucking Companies
    https://www.drive4freymiller.com
    "Plus, we’re proud to announce a new partnership with Home Creations that makes it easier than ever for Freymiller drivers to own their own home – ask your recruiter for more info!"

10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Just because its a mega it doesnt mean you are going to have a bad experience.

I did a company paid training through FFE and have been running a team truck for two years now averaging 1500 a week or so. A lot of the same driving amd backing challenges werner dollar guys are faced with. Sometimes I park next to those guys for the night. And I have to load my own trailer like they do.

People knock the dollar driving jobs, but I think it can work out great for the right person. But its definitely not for everyone. You can probably expect similiar pay doing the dollar deal. Just dont hit anything. You will be more at risk of having silly accidents driving in some of the places they have to go.

The only difference is I get paid less per mile but more for the loading. Im only loading half an hour to 1 hour and I get 30.00 per stop. I can start after those dollar guys and leave way before they are done. Those dollar employees can really hold you up.

I think 55 for unload is a bit low. But .50 per mile is pretty good. Ask them if you are paid for all dispatched miles at that rate or just the miles you drive, or if that .50 is split between both drivers. Dollar trucks are teams.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This company hires new cdl grads in Florida and is headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
    Melton Truck Lines Flatbed Driving Jobs and Flatbed ...
    https://meltontruck.com

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.