Grease in trailer axle bearings instead of gear oil?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by ichudov, Jul 7, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would hope that Venezula sorts themselves out and settle things good. (This is not political..) Chevron is owned by Venezula State organizations in the oil side.

Take this time now to quietly look for a suitable replacement or stock pile one years worth in storage while there is still peace there. Once fighting breaks out between Nation states, I would not put it past them to deliberately poison the fuel, lubricants and oil in many ways unknown until someone's car or truck etc burned up because the bad actors managed to hurt us a little bit.

Many of you are probably going to seriously laugh me out of this warehouse for such a whoo whoo story. I just see potential trouble and prefer either to stockpile the stuff from them while it's good or commit to a alternative oil or whatever it is to replace the future during actual warfare, the supply of fresh new things you seek will be blockaded from reaching these United State.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Just an FYI... Tractor Supply sells #00 semi-fluid grease. It comes in a quart bottle that resembles gear lube. I used it in a leaky trailer hub until I had time to fix it.

cke and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    . I checked there, too.
    The only kind they had was Super S Cotton Picker spindle grease, $5.00 a quart. It’s 00 but has a low temp rating.

cke Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Costco not Chevron. Their Profits on US sales were frozen in February.

6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Citco not Costco, Lol

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have 4 year old Great Dane dry van sitting in our yard with bad hub. I took parts out. Inner big bearing is gone and spindle is damaged. It is grease packed hub. The owner says never replaced the seal and the grease, just added little grease year ago. the grease is black and viscosity is high... somebody will come and fix it. I suggested owner to switch to oil bath and use 50/50 mix of lucas hub oil/synthetic gear oil for axles.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. kmx7022

kmx7022 Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Switched from stem cos to Chicago rawhide ( cr) no more problems. Stem Co is junk

9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I have been selling and changing seals 22 years now. If a stemco grit guard fails it was the installers fault.

I have seen them last till the steel rusted out.

cke and truckdad Thank this.
  10. Troady

Troady Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I got two 53` dry van Utility trailers , a 1998 and a 2007, both running with grease for years now, no problem whatsoever.

11. Natedog1200

Natedog1200 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2017
    So got a question, I run a hotshot, Ram 4500 and big tex trailer, 10k load on the deck so not too heavy. Converted axles to Lucas grease, green. Anyhow on a time sensitive run and noticed one hub is significantly hotter after 650 mile day, 550 more miles tomorrow before I have time to pull it apart(I forgot my spare parts at home when I cleaned out my truck this weekend, I know stupid ). Anyhow, can I add some oil temporarily until I can pull it apart? Due to pull and repack anyhow but everything happened...1 year anniversary now pay your IRP, INSURANCE RENEWAL, JUST PAID IFTA, UNEXPECTED $1500 REPAIR, FRIDGE WENT OUT AND TOOK A WEEK OFF TO BURY MY DAD, so.... I'm in the hole and behind on maintenance, thoughts???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.