Greatwide

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BigDawg40, Oct 8, 2016.

1. BigDawg40

BigDawg40 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Can any one tell me anything about leasing on with them ? And anything about core leas trucks ? Talking to both right now don't want to make a bad choice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    If you're considering leasing a truck, you've not yet made a bad choice. If you lease a truck...you'll have made a bad choice.
    Just freaking drive for someone, and let THEM pay the bills for the love of God!!!!

BoyWander and JimmyWells Thank this.
  4. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    What Dog said. why would you lease a truck on with a company that controls how many miles you get/what kind of $$ you get for those loads?? and remember....you still have a lease payment even when you're home/sick/on vacation. leasing IMHO is the most STUPID thing you could ever do

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah only like 15% of leases work out. You need at least 10k for happenings and strong business plan.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Buy a truck and go to???? Landstar or Jones motor freight. Call sni and look at their choice program

7. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Idk but Tammy the recruiter is pushy keeps calling me telling me I have to get send such and such documents in.I told her I'm not interested and still tells me you still have to,lol I don't have to do anything I don't want to do and nobody is gonna tell me otherwise!

Pastor Kenny Powers Thanks this.
  8. SouthwestVeas

SouthwestVeas Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Greatwide is about learning the system and making it work for you.. Meaning you have some drivers there who run with agents and you have some who run on whats called "central dispatch" where you have access to the load board and can run other brokered freight with outside agents and brokers thats approved (landstar agents, sureway/ ats agents, jb hunt brokers, etc).... I ran on Central Dispatch and kept relationships with 2 separate agents with Greatwide and it wasn't bad. They take 25% of the load as well, the in network fuel was pretty cheap when using Fuelbook.. Keep your truck up to code with quarterly inspections and monthly maintenance reports turned in, not sure if they're forcing eLogs now, but i ran paper and as long as you didn't get any crazy violations they never bothered you, just make sure you turn them in weekly on time. In other words, stay off the radar as much as possible.

Depending on what you're considering to run, dry van, reefer, flatbed, stepdeck, etc.. The better paying freight that i saw on the loadboards was step deck.. I ran dry van but i had connected with a military agent and ran government freight which paid exceptional.. and i mean great, that is when it came up and when it was consistent.. That way my only complaint really, the fact that government loads were not as consistent as I'd like, but thats apart of the game..

If you don't have your own trailer, you can rent one through extra lease, a dry van for about $800 a month. I believe the flatbeds and steps were around $600 a month or something close..
    Now reefer freight, you need to bring your own reefer because Extra lease charges something like $800 a week.. And you must run with an agent when pulling a reefer, you were not allowed to run on Central Dispatch.. depending on our agent if they know how to run reefer freight, you may do ok but those prices for a rental were still crazy expensive.

All in all, i have nothing bad to say about Greatwide.. They give you the tools and freedom to operate how you want to operate, its just a matter of learning their system and making it work for you. I'd say connect with a military agent or Government Dispatch if you're able too and your background is clear to get on bases, because those loads pay and makes it worth it.. But you must be on Central Dispatch to work with a Government Agent if they aren't taking on any drivers.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

9. Xhiz

Xhiz Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2017
    How does their fuel work. Do I come out of pocket upfront or is it deducted from settlement

10. Xhiz

Xhiz Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2017
    Nah your wrong, greatwide central is the way to go, load boards and brokers, pick your freight and negotiate your loads 75%. Not wise to say things that you don't know, it could detour someone from better things than a yes man or a slaved employee

RubyEagle and RStewart Thank this.
  11. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Come back and tell us how great it was after you fail, Driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.