Greenhorn with option to go with Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Dawgpound, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa
    Have you found out sand with a small salt mix is 100 times better than pure salt. Only reason the mid-west and east use pure salt is because they don't have the gravel to make sand. Sand/gravel helps much better for traction and salt is worthless when too cold to melt the ice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CornerCarver

CornerCarver Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2007
    running a twisty road
    You are kidding right. What is concrete made out of, sand and gravel. We have plenty of that. No, they use the rock and sand as not to disturb the water and fish. You should know that.

4. Znine

Znine Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Spokane, wa
    No I'm not kidding! lol. Sand/gravel may not be has hard on the environment but gives drivers the traction on ice and snow. Salt water freezes at 28 degrees F. The West has easy pickings for sand/gravel to allow them to pour it all over the road. And in most cases there is a small amount of salt mixed in. Just because it doesn't turn every car white doesn't mean it don't work. It don't take much salt to activate the melt but the temps can't be very cold no matter the amount of salt.

I don't know about concrete but pavement gets recycled. Where does E coast get the gravel for concrete?

This might sound like a worthless argument to some but my Dad moved and lived in Pittsburgh. He called the city one day because the temp was 0 and the city was pouring salt, cars where still spinning out, and the salt truck couldn't make it back up the hill. He asked durring the call why doesn't the city use sand, too cold for salt? He was told by the city that they can't get sand because they have no reasonable way to get it even for days like this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.