Greetings from Missoula

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by John1988, Dec 11, 2018.

1. John1988

John1988 Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Hey guys,

For those of you who might remember my other thread - I made it to Jim Palmer for CDL training! I have my permit and will be hitting the road for my 40,000 training miles in two weeks.

There are a lot of rumors flying around the school here in Missoula about the seemingly inevitable switch to automatic transmissions. Jim Palmer (Wilson) is switching to fully automatic, and today we sold 1 of the 2 remaining manuals left on the yard. Our training manager today said the odds of us testing out in an automatic is "very high", and all the other instructors and staff at Wilson seem to think the same thing. The problem is we don't want to get an E restriction on our license especially since up to this point we've been training on sticks. The scuttlebutt around here is flying all different directions, some saying the FMSCA recently updated the law so that those testing in an automatic will not have any restrictions, even manual.
    Anyone out there have any clues or more reliable information on this topic? A quick google search only revealed info from 1+ years old. If there is another thread or forum discussing this please point me that direction and I'll be on my way.

Thanks guys!
    - John

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you've been training on sticks ask to test out on stick shift; maybe use one of the remaining training trucks.

John1988 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  4. John1988

John1988 Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Definitely, we plan on doing that for sure. I was mainly curious if anyone else had heard the rumor that was being spread around here that testing on an automatic doesn't necessarily guarantee an E exception. Sure seems counter-intuitive to me so figured I'd ask around.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

EVERYONE has an opinion. But the official opinion is the only one that counts.

6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Just went through there, pretty country. I see manual as an additional skill, wouldn't surprise me if it becomes an endorsement at some point.

Get your ride in the manual truck if possible. I'd even offer to rent one for the occasion. Local private trucking school might be a way to get one if needed.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Automatics are taking over the industry so fast I no longer think it's important to avoid the auto-only restriction UNLESS you have a particular job in view that requires manual.

If you've been trained on manual you will pick it up quickly even years later if you ever need to use it.

8. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    I think your “rumor” is just wishful thinking from those that have the restriction.

You can check the FMCSA site for any proposed or pending changes to the regulations but if memory serves me right they just added the restriction for automatics a few years ago (2014?) so I doubt they are even considering removing it at this time.

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  9. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I'd defintiely watch those Jim Palmer recruiters...They are not always truthful.

10. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The automatic scare meme is still a thing? I’m sure they’ll switch eventually but everyone was afraid of that when i was going through training last Jan/Feb

11. federal221

federal221 Heavy Load Member

Mar 29, 2010
    new haven,IN
    I was thinking about Jim Palmer have had my cdl since 2009 took 2 off due to eye surgery been back about a year if the industry changes to all autos I would be really ticked can’t stand autos stick is the way to go

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.