Grief from company for average speed?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MACK E-6, Apr 20, 2019.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    He didn’t say 4.1 he said 4:10.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Last year I was having trouble getting my Rand McNally ABORD system to read my truck ECM. Sometimes it would log drive time automatically, sometimes it failed to read drive time. When it didn't register drive time it wouldn't log miles, so I kept meticulous notes of miles driven from stop to stop and updated my logs to reflect actual miles.

The real problem came if the RM froze up and I would have to stop and reboot it. Then it might suddenly bring up an apparent history of unlogged miles and throw them on whatever segment of driving I had just finished. I recorded a land speed record, over 3000 miles in two hours, over dirt roads!

I was tempted to submit that to the Guinness Book of World Records, but doubt they would have accepted it. Sure glad I didn't get a Level 1 during that time. RM eventually got the unit working near 100% perfect, but wouldn't you know it, the entire unit crapped out the week after I sold my truck to my brother.

booley, Truckermania and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm waiting for this to come up during level whatever inspection. Where you average the speed limit or close to it, maybe even above it.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  5. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    there were days when I'd just fill out the heading of the page, figuring I could draw a quick line if I had to. Then at the end of the day, I would draw the line backwards to make everything kinda work...

I have often wondered the same thing about all these high-speed e-z pass devices. How long before they start mailing out citations for going from one device to the next too quickly?

6. Chebbydriver7195

Chebbydriver7195 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2019
    65 is our limit 71 you see safety and 75 termination

MACK E-6 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you refer to DM Bowman, keep in mind i worked for them back about the mid 90's era.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    #### I’m new.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is this paperlog stuff mostly?

I was in AOBRD and now we’re in elogs. Nobody has ever said anything to me about average speed or cross referenced my elogs with a calculator and a map or whatever.

Maybe this isn’t specific to Western and they have a system in place. I run legal +/- 5mph and never worried about it.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I think this thread has more to do with a "safety" guy that's bored and needs to justify their existence.

10. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Ahhhhh ok. That @MACK E-6 is a crafty driver. Safety better be watching him. :D

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im sowwy. I keep with me hidden a huge bag of tricks, work arounds and party favors. There are so many ways to sit there and make your paper logs cry out in violations against yourself when inspected properly. As in forensically etc.

If a log book is so damning sometimes it's just a 30 dollar ticket to plead ignorance and say "I don't have my homework teacher" (I don't have my logs for you today Sir) Versus god only knows the thousands in fines waiting to be written in the other logbook which should itself combust in it's sins and crimes committed against the regulations.

MACK E-6, otterinthewater and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.