Grinding Gears

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bigowl, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Bigowl

Bigowl Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    I just wanted to ask how the pro's come to a stop light? Do you downshift through the gears? Do you just stop and then put the transmission in whatever gear you will be using to go again? I have seen drivers do it both ways and some grind the gears. In fact it seems that every time I watch a rookie put the truck in a gear it grinds, even in reverse. Is there a trick to putting the truck in gear. Nearly every tuck I see that comes into the dock with a rookie just can't get their truck into gear easily, did they miss something in school? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

When I come to a stop light I just hit the brake peddle. Of course, I have an automatic. :biggrin_25522:

But to answer your question... When coming to a stop you want to stay in gear. You never want to be caught out of gear in case you need to make an emergency maneuver. I used to start braking and when the RPM's dropped low enough shift into a lower gear. As I came to a stop, I would put it in the gear I would need to start again.

As far as drivers grinding the gears, they just don't know how to shift properly. Whether they are double-clutching, floating the gears or whatever. They have never had to pay for a transmission so they don't care. They are usually in a hurry. And the ones who grind even in reverse are just impatient and don't wait for the clutch brake to take hold.

Even with years and years of experience you will still grind gears from time to time. But the trick to shifting gears is to "feel" what the truck wants. A lot of drivers don't know how to get in tune with their truck.

Mooch, Bigowl, Bill104 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I have a weak clutch... In fact, I'm surprised it has lasted this long. I still don't expect it to last more then a couple more month. But I guess I'm impatient because I have weak equipment that I'm trying to nurse to the next stop.

5. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario
    you should downshift an use the jake to slow ya down to save the brakes! sometimes u can't help but grind when your at a stop due to the clutch brake not set up properly. Thats why sometimes u'll hear them grind even in reverse. Or they dont stop before attemptin to do it

Bigowl Thanks this.
  6. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

Guess you missed where I said usually, which means most of the time. Not all of the time. Not ever driver. Not every situation. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings there REDD.

7. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Main reason is they push the clutch in but not far enough to engage the clutch brake. second is they try to get in gear before the clutch stops and third could be that the Brake is either worn or out of adjustment. This isn't one of the things usually taught in schools and a lot of these trainee trainers don't know about yet either, and the out of adjustment can last until in the truck is in the shop for service when it is usually found.

Bigowl Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    To engage the clutch brake, you release the clutch from the floor about an inch or so.

Something that always works for me after I get to know my truck (a day or 2) is whenever I am at a complete dead stop (red light, parking lot whatever) is, first put the tranny in to 4th gear, THEN, put it in 1st. It will go in without grinding, smooth as butter. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to be grinding gears. Your clutch brake/clutch may need adjusting. You need an inch minimum play at the top. If you're grinding in the upper gears, you need instruction on shifting or the tranny needs work.

9. U4EA

U4EA Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2009
    If you can't find it, grind it!!!!!

10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Coming to a stop light I generally drop 2 gears at a time. Let the rpms drop to around 800 then hit 2 gears down at around 1600. I find its smoother that way with liquids

11. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Most people are impatient though. And will knock it out of gear, coast, then try sticking it back in a much lower gear while the clutch is still spun up.

I find myself grinding at scales, for this same exact reason. Especially on shorter ramps that don't provide enough space to bring it down properly.

Also, I'm not one of those who slows to ramp speed....two miles before the scale. :biggrin_25510: So my clutch tends to be spinning at a higher speed at the scales, if the ramp is too short and I have to stop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.