Gross safety infraction

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Davisio201, Dec 5, 2021.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Makes you want to punch the guy in the kisser.

JoeyJunk, Pamela1990, Boondock and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Naw he was a friend and we worked for the same company.
    It was a terminal to terminal load so I went back in to the office and told them if they are sending that forklift from omaha to chicago they need to shut it off and secure it ....jaws hit the floor!

4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    There are red and green dock lights for a reason. There is also signs all over the place in the dock office NOT to pull out on a red light. I would imagine, if this did happen, you will be banned for life from that company.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This question is precisely why a lot of docks require you to drop and/or they will place a gladhand lock on the trailer. You are also messing around with getting banned off the property and maybe even costing your company a contract. Those lights are there for a reason. NEVER under any circumstances pull away from a door with a red light! If you have a doubt, contact someone on the dock and get the trailer cleared. This could also get you an incident with your company safety dept. In all honesty, it's not a gross safety infraction as you asked, it's just STUPID!

6. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

You to? But mine turned green and I pulled out immediately. I got a tow motor, driver and supervisor.

Give you one guess who pushed the button.

JoeyJunk, tscottme, Hammer166 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    This happened where I work. We dropped the trucks at the docks of our warehouse and they would unload the backhaul. Then somebody would pull it out until they were ready to load for the morning delivery. The daytime warehouse manager pulled it and took it for a little spin. He heard screaming and banging so he stopped. He went back and saw Nico, sitting on the forklift, his face ashen white!

8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Lmao .

JoeyJunk, Pamela1990, Boondock and 2 others Thank this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    I tell ya, the #### that goes on in trucking. There's never a peaceful moment. And if there is.....watch out #### going to hit the fan.

10. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Tell ya a quick story, was down in Yuma one time back in the 80's loading head lettuce for Montreal, truck at the dock was almost done loading. I was helping the older gent with his load locks when his young co-driver decided it was time to pull out. He pulled out, I jumped back, the older fellow went down to the ground, along with the dock plate, and snapped his ankle like a matchstick, meanwhile the load lock came down and beaned him in the coconut. Good thing he didn't roll the trailer back into the dock, woulda crushed the guy for sure. The co-drivers excuse,>>>>>>>>>>>>> "I thought we were done."

11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Most red lights I've seen were attached to dock locks. This one wasn't?

Years ago, I rode with another one of our drivers to pick up a trailer that had been dropped in a customers dock a few days earlier. We got there, he hooked up the trailer to the tractor, then we walked in to the office. The guy behind the desk hands the paperwork to the other driver, and says "you're all set to go".
    We walk back to the tractor, he get's in, and I walk to the back of the trailer, to shut the doors.
    As he releases the brakes, and starts to pull forward, I hear a forklift coming. The forklift drives on the still down dockplate, as the trailer is moving away from the dock. I yell at our driver to stop, the forklift driver bails out. The end result was we had the lift truck forks on the trailer, and the counterweight was sitting on the dockplate, everything else was hanging in mid air.Scary situation for everyone involved!

We were able to back the trailer up, and push the forklift back on the dock. After that incident, I always make sure the dockplate is pulled, even when they tell me "oh just pull away, it will drop on it's own".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.