GTA to East Coast multiple drops

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by pete159, Oct 2, 2023.

1. pete159

pete159 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    mississauga
    The small company I'm currently working at is about to drop rates to 48 cents a mile.
    As someone who's been driving 15 years that's pretty crappy.
    I've been looking at different options.
    One place has East Coast runs at 69 cents with 5 to 10 drops.
    As someone who only does full loads, The thought of 10 drops on the East Coast is a tad off putting if you know what I mean.
    Do any of you guys do that kind of run?
    I'm also considering tanker work what are some good options for that?
    Finally does anybody have some good company recommendations for experienced drivers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    What province / general area are you in?

4. pete159

pete159 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    mississauga
    I live in Mississauga The truck yard is highway 50 in the Vaughn area with all the others

5. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    I think @Canadianhauler21 was doing some GTA to East coast dry van stuff. He may be able to help you with details on that.

As for recommendations on tanker work: it really depends on your preferences. Each type has its own nature and to some extent product handling. You may find that chemical work is more of a fit for you than milk/food grade products; or propane more than cement powder work. So it’s hard to name a type of tank work and say you’re going to like it.

6. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Lowering pay is crazy.

Have you considered telling them if you lower my pay I won't be working here anymore

Another Canadian driver and Condi Thank this.
  7. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006
    I don’t think his company can even lower his pay if it’s something like 30% lost in wages its illegal and i would be contacting a employment lawyer and get severance pay if it were me

8. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    I know of someone working for a flatbed carrier in Winnipeg that had his company driver rate cut 10/c a mile. Lots of carriers that were doing well like everyone else when things were hot are now struggling to keep the doors open now that the tables have turned. Poor operating practices and bad investments are coming back to haunt carriers.

Unless you like LTL sort of work I would highly recommend you stay away from multi drop loads on the east coast. Your milage rate is high because you spend more time hitting docks then you will turning a mile. If you like that kind of work go for it, if not don't even consider it.

As far as tankers go I know someone at TD Smith. They are very happy there. Otherwise check out Trimac , Contrans Tank. Go to your local truck stop grab the hiring magazine there is a ton of carriers to choose from.

9. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Where are you based out of? The market is kinda crap, the ones who have work are quiet about it. 5-10 drops sounds like crap. East coast isn't that bad depending on where you're going, I ran it for about 2 years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.