Guess its time for an overhead to be done on my C-16!!!

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Whitey14243, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Whitey14243

Whitey14243 Medium Load Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Moreland, GA

I value what you and everyone is teaching me on my engine. I'm mechanically inclined but I still have a lot to learn on these Diesel engines! So any pointers or advice that anyone had I'm all ears. I haven't noticed any blowby at all, which I always thought is what you wanted. So I added the Lucas just to have the extra additive in it. After I get the oil analysis done and figure out what's going on with the engine, I may just run straight Rotella in it without the Lucas. Thanks for the pointers and help guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    once you figure out the problem, run rotella full synthetic. the bypass filter let's you push out your oil drains far enough to make synthetic very cost effective.

Whitey14243 Thanks this.
  4. DieselDog81

DieselDog81 Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Between here and there
    Very valid point here. But, if I may add something... if you (or anyone for that fact) is looking at extended drain intervals, oil samples are even more vitally important. Id start with taking a sample slightly before my normal drain marker (I.e.12-15k) and send it in with a note asking them to check the feasibility of extending your drain interval, and then cintinue to send in samples every 5-10k. The TBN is a very important number to pay attention to when looking to increase your intervals.

Bypass filters do a great job of removing suspended particulates in the oil, but to my knowledge, they dont replace the additives in the oil and theres no way to replenish the TBN. Which is why thats such an important number to watch on your sample reports.

5. DieselDog81

DieselDog81 Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Between here and there
    Also, make sure you note that you added a gallon of Lucas when you send in your sample. The report will probably show numbers that arent 100% accurate due ti the additive, but as long ss the lab knows its in the oil, they can try and normalize the report to take that in account.

6. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I prefer my Rotella to be UNstable - sorry Mr. Lucas!:biggrin_2559:

7. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Would that be because you might be a little unstable yourself?:biggrin_25523:

8. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    @Whitey14243 what gives I read three pages of a thread waiting to see what the green tint was and you never come back on to tell what happened I get this is late but come on man

123.Red Beard and QuickLazy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.